Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed EGR and now I have an off idle hesitation when I blip the throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Removed EGR and now I have an off idle hesitation when I blip the throttle.

So about a month ago I removed the EGR and AIR systems after having them tuned out. Shortly after I noticed that when I barely blip the throttle the engine has a slight off idle hesitation. The car runs great after 1100 RPM. I keep the car well maintained so things like the fuel filter, air filter & plugs and wires have all recently been replaced. I do throw the occasional PO133 O2 sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 1) slow response but I always have... and I understand that many header cars (mine included) throw this code... Additionally, the symptoms occur while the car is cold so I think that means that it isn't the O2 sensors.

I need some suggestions. The AIR system has been blocked off for a couple years without issue so I'm gonna go ahead and assume that it is not causing this slight hesitation. I used a rubber washer setup to block off the egr port in the intake and it looks like a good positive seal. Just not sure what to think. Maybe a bad MAF? I keep it clean and I don't use a K&N. I'm running out of ideas. Let's hear some suggestions.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

C'mon guys I'm all ears...
Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take some carb cleaner and spray the plug you used on the intake manifold, if the idle changes then you have a vacuum leak. I used black RTV and a differential plug I got from NAPA, plug cost me 97 cents. Sprayed mine down with carb cleaner and no leaks, and no hesitations!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I tried the carb cleaner and the idle never changed. I swapped an old TPS and that seems to have fixed the problem... I need to drive it for a while before I can confirm but It didn't do it on the way to work this morning. Thanks for the suggestion.