Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ANother Transmission oil question

Old 07-11-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANother Transmission oil question

OK so I am wanting to change my tranny oil. My question is that I am seeing fluids that say they will work with Dexron III-G, not sure what the G stands for or if i can use it. Here are 2 links please tell me if this is what I am looking for.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0471&ppt=C0207

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0471&ppt=C0207

Also out of these 2 which would be preferred. Or is there a better alternative for around the same price. I mainly want to stick with what the tag says on the side of my transmission. I've been doing a lot of research on all the old trans fluid threads, but never really anything that answered my particular question. Seemed simple enough, but then I go to walmart and start seeing letters and all that, and didn't want to buy the wrong stuff.
Sorry to beat a dead horse on this topic.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

close your eye and pick between those 2. they both work well, im currently using oreilly ATF ( the first one ). shift good. not the smooth thing in the world, but shift good. If u have moneys next time, I try out that pennzoils syncromesh.

BTW Oreilly having special on their in house brand buy 2 bottle of tranmission for 5 buck. I sugest you buy 4 bottle for 10 buck, rather buy gallon 12 dollar, it save 2 dollar for buying 4 quart bottle lol.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by killagt
close your eye and pick between those 2. they both work well, im currently using oreilly ATF ( the first one ). shift good. not the smooth thing in the world, but shift good. If u have moneys next time, I try out that pennzoils syncromesh.

BTW Oreilly having special on their in house brand buy 2 bottle of tranmission for 5 buck. I sugest you buy 4 bottle for 10 buck, rather buy gallon 12 dollar, it save 2 dollar for buying 4 quart bottle lol.
I already have a gallon jug of the o'reilly brand at home, leftover from doing something, but I don't remember what. I have been seriously thinking about trying out the synchromesh though. I live in southern Arkansas, it gets really hot and humid, but the winters are pretty unpredictable, could be 19F-40F,
just depends on how cold the particular winter is.

Also, I changed my oil yesterday and saw the drain and fill plug on the tranny. However, I hear of people filling the trans fluid through the gearshifter. Is there a sticky for doing this process. This way that way I don't care, I just wanna make sure I got what I need to do it.

Last edited by LS1WS6dreamer; 07-12-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Search this Thread