Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTRA vs. SLP vs. Free mod.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FTRA vs. SLP vs. Free mod.

Im looking into buying some sort of cold air system for my car but before i make a decision i would like to hear some comments and reviews on the following items:
Fast Toys Ram Air Sytem
Slp's FlowPac
Free Mod.

Which do yall prefer?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Free. When I first had my car, I thought an FTRA would be a great idea. I sold it 2 weeks later. There are a lot better way to make power the money. Besides, The free version is just as good, or worthless, depending on how you look at it (I have it left over from the FTRA install), as the other systems.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think any type of cold air induction is worthless. What do you mean by free mod anyway? I know what a free mod is, but what did you plan to do exactly?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Free mod as in cutting the extra plastic away from the bottom of the air box allowing the air dam to push more air into the air box.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if it was me Iwould just do the free mod. I've heard that cold air systems don't really do anything for the money you pay. save the money and spend it on something else that will matter IMO>
Old 07-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

i think i am leaning towards the free mod. just because i think it will pull more cfm then the other options. and plus i dont really like the idea of something blocking my radiator :/
Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM
9 Second Club

I wouldn't worry about CFM at the intake if you've got a lid. Have you seen the size of the filter we have, or the size of the intake inlet before it? That thing is flowing better than a 102mm FAST! CFM at the intake isn't something to worry about. It will choke on the MAF, throttle body, and unless you have some pretty amazing heads, it will outflow them as well. Look behind the lid to increase overall CFM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Teching In

exactly right. ^^^^
Old 07-12-2010, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

+1 ^^^^
About the only benefit is maybe providing air that's a little bit cooler.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

so what your sayin is that with the free mod, the FTRA, and the SLP your going to see about the same results?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:08 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would think the ftra would work better than the slp bc the ftra is x2 its size but have you looked at the chris1313 ram air system? he has an AC version and non ac they are both about 200$ and worth anywhere from 1.5-3+ mph at the track
Old 07-12-2010, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club

I have never bought into the hype of the chris1313 ram air. The claims seem to be pretty wild with not a ton of real evidence that it does a damned thing. $200 can go a lot farther than that overpriced and over-hyped ripoff. Stick with the "free" and get a lid if you don't already have one. Half the price, actual results.

Edit:
Be prepared to buy an LT1 radiator for the extra cooling that the "chris1313" will rob you of. So now you are at $400 to do it safely. I am actually pretty sad that Speedinc decided to even carry that joke.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

I have a chrs1313 and it really woke my car up.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Lid and FRA and be done with it. My two cents.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1gt2nv
I have a chrs1313 and it really woke my car up.
Let me guess, "seat of the pants." If I wasted $200 on something like that, I'd want to feel like it made a difference too. In fact, when the FTRA was like $150 and I bought one, I thought it really woke my car up too. Turns out, placebo. A week later I realized I was fooling myself and sold it.

The fact of the matter is that where the pretty little scoop sits, the air flow on the FBodies is so turbulent that no where near as much air is getting in as you want to believe. They are all basically junk, and the chris1313 takes the cake for trying to swindle people out of their money. I wonder if he is working on a tornado intake, but more seriously, I wonder if he has actually ever seen an FBody in a wind tunnel. If he hasn't, the product wasn't well engineered. If he has, he knows that it is ineffective there and is a rip off artist that Speedinc unfortunately got into bed with.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

With the FTRA/SLP FlowPac/SSRA/Chris whatever?/Free Mod, your not going to notice it at all. This is something you would only notice at the track, if someone thinks it really woke there car up or felt the difference. They must have installed it with other parts, because when i installed the FTRA on my SS (also had it on my Z28). I never noticed a difference on either car and it was installed alone both times.

I will say though, im sure all of those air induction systems, except for the Free Mod are the better ones. The Free Mod just opens up the bottom of the air box to get more air flow. The FTRA/SSRA/SLP Flowpac all help direct the air up in there with there design, so you should be getting more air flow then what you do with just the Free Mod.

In the end, its all up to you my friend. Do you wanna spend the money for the system or just do the free mod and go with that? Just remember, which ever setup you go with. You will not notice the difference at all, unless you take it to the track and do a before and after pass and see your timeslips.

Last edited by Badguy7; 07-12-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

i say go for the chris1313 ram air setup, definetly a nice piece. I currently run the slp flow pac with good results, but the chris 1313 setup is fixing to replace my current setup.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 PM
9 Second Club

Again, they direct flow at the cost of cooling ability and they do not route flow any better than the stock air dam. The free is as useless as the others. And the others not going to pick up anything either.
Originally Posted by MYSTIC-1SC
i say go for the chris1313 ram air setup, definetly a nice piece. I currently run the slp flow pac with good results, but the chris 1313 setup is fixing to replace my current setup.
Man, to each their own. The chris1313 is an enormous waste of money. Buying **** and getting off before you run at the track for the weight savings will give you the same results, and feel better while keeping the radiator working at its best efficiency.
God damn people, this argument has been going on for a decade and chris1313 is either looking to make a quick buck or doesn't know anything about flow on the undercarriage on these cars.
If you want the, I believe I'll start calling it the dumbass1313, go for it, I'm just glad it isn't my money.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Launching!

I just did the FRA mod to my LS1 and really didn't notice any difference at all. It was free though so I can't complain.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by transsam
Again, they direct flow at the cost of cooling ability and they do not route flow any better than the stock air dam. The free is as useless as the others. And the others not going to pick up anything either.

Man, to each their own. The chris1313 is an enormous waste of money. Buying **** and getting off before you run at the track for the weight savings will give you the same results, and feel better while keeping the radiator working at its best efficiency.
God damn people, this argument has been going on for a decade and chris1313 is either looking to make a quick buck or doesn't know anything about flow on the undercarriage on these cars.
If you want the, I believe I'll start calling it the dumbass1313, go for it, I'm just glad it isn't my money.
Jesus Christ man, you have a personal problem with Chris1313 or what?? I really don't see what good coming in here and bashing his product, his intentions, or his knowledge is doing anyone... Chill...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FTRA vs. SLP vs. Free mod.