Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Corvette gurus....need advice

Old 07-12-2010, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette gurus....need advice

me and a guy i know was talking about his 04 z06 and what nots....he says he'd like to sell it for 20K. here is the run down of the car and tell me what you think (reasonable) a good offer would be.

its a yellow 04 z06 with 105,000+ miles on it.
seats have a couple of tears but no more than a inch long.
rest of interior is spotless.
paint and body have that of a car with 105k miles would. (little rock chips but no cracks in fiberglass)
needs 4 new tires
tranny is on the verg of breaking, clutch is on its way out the door.
took the ls6 out and put a ls1 in it....but took the heads and intake off the ls6 and put it on the ls1 (still ls6 right?). heads are from Texas speed stage 2.5
has aftermarket cam and springs but thats it. everything else is stock....even the tune.

the cars body and interior is in great shape......what would you give for it?
thanks guys
Old 07-12-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's got high miles for a Vette. The transmission will need to be repaired and should be beefed up. Probably $2-3k there. The clutch will probably be another $1k. If you aren't up to tackling this yourself, then you'll need to add labor to those estimates. I would also add another $500 for a real tune. Driving around with a factory tune on a heads/cam car isn't smart.

The fact it has a different motor will hurt it in the long run from a collectors standpoint. Probably not something you will be worried about. It also raises the question as to why the motor was swapped and how the car was treated. The heads and cam it has on it are making more power than the LS6 did. Which is probably why it needs a tranny rebuild and a clutch.

I can find several examples on CF of lower mileage cars with nothing wrong with them in the in the 20-25k range.

'03 Z06 9k miles $22k
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...3-red-z06.html

'03 Z06 58k miles $20k
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...miles-20k.html

'04 Z06 18k miles $25k
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...ady-ny-nj.html

That's just the first page and looking at Z06's. If you want to mod it, then you can open the door to coupes and fixed roof coupes and go much lower price wise.

Back to the original question, with those miles and in that condition I wouldn't go over $16k for it. You have at least $3k in repairs to do to it. Add on at least a $1k in labor if you aren't going to do it yourself. A realistic starting point is $14-15k.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Default ttt

With the miles on it and the cond of the parts 15,k to max of 17,k how much do you like it. tires 1,k parts and labor on the trans and the back end 3,k.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

paint and body has 105k + miles on it but how many miles are on that swapped ls1 engine should be the real question?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Default ttt

2004 paint should still be good unless it has been rad out. And by what you said it hasnt been. So dont touch the paint to much $ and people really get cold feet on a car that has been repaint. Look at all the other stuff not good with the car. A good shop car buff out and touch up small rock chips and still have the org paing on the car...15,k to 17,k with not the org motor or a z06 motor in her....
Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Banned

That car is worth $16k on a good day.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

thanks guys. i will be doing the work myself along with my friend that owns a shop. i was thinkin in the 13-15k range myself.

single digits on miles on new motor. hasn't been in there long.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In great condition with low miles that car would be worth $26k-30K. Mods to the car don't add value for the most part. And in the general market, they decrease value. In this case I'd call it a wash.

The transmission is an MN12 trans and they're not cheap when new. Although, you can get a used one for about 1200-1500, plus you'll need a clutch and the labor. You're looking at a bare-minimum of $2500 to have a used transmission with a new clutch put in. The trans is in the back and it's a PITA to take down and put up. The clutch is in the front, so there's work around the torque tube on both ends.

It has 105K miles which isn't necessarily a bad thing since LSx motors will last a very long time if well taken care of. If you know that this motor has received its maintenance on time and regularly, it's probably good for another 100K miles although I'd do a full tune up on it and replace the timing chain if it hasn't already been.

Millennium Yellow is the most difficult and expensive paint to touch up or repaint. The clear coat is very expensive, the paint itself is expensive, and so on... If you don't mind the chips or you're willing to put the money into it, it's worth it. I have a Millennium Yellow Z06 and I love the color. I get looks and comments all the time. When I park my 03 MY Z next to a black 06+ Z, I get more comments.

And finally, tires. They're not cheap for stock sizes. The front's are an odd size and the backs are wide as hell. I have Toyo T1Rs all at stock sizes and the entire set ran just about $1200 mounted and balanced. There are certainly cheaper tires that are great tires like the Nitto NT05s and you can get an entire set for your car in slightly wider sizes for under $1000.

I'd say that the car is worth 15-17K due to miles and the work that still needs to be done to it:

Lets say 26K base price.
$26,000
-$2,500 (transmission/clutch)
-$1,000 (tires)
-$3,000 (for miles, generally Z06s of that year are below 30K miles)
-$2,000 (paint)
-$500 (Full tune up with timing chain/sprockets and labor)
-$500 (For the fix for the rips in the seats)

That puts the car at $16,500. That sounds about right as well.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

very good info in responses and i am thankful. was wondering on to purchase, fix, maybe mod it some more like LT's and exhaust, CAI, and try to make some money off it. but with the great responses i have got what i want to do does not seem like a good idea.

anyone else wanna add any comments or info on the situation?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, these are dropping in price fast. You're not going to be able to flip it in this economy. By the time you're doing fixing it, it will be past the summer which is when they sell at their highest. Then next year it will already be worth less by the time summer comes around again. These aren't flip cars. Corvettes are toys and personal investments only. If you're ever expecting to make money off a Corvette and you're not an actual dealer, you're just going to lose money. Some people get lucky, but it's not often.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I have Toyo T1Rs all at stock sizes and the entire set ran just about $1200 mounted and balanced. .
You're getting ripped and I hate to see it. (Profit is fine, since I'm a Republican, but damn, even though you are a democrat and deserve to lose all your assets and hung from the neck because of your rediculous vote for O6ama's communist/anti-American policies, but I feel that you have to be warned.)

I'm just letting you know that your tire dealer is bending you over the hood and feeding it to you...

I'm on my 2nd set of Toyo T1Rs and I'm paying $950 installed and spun balanced on my '01z.

YOU ARE WASTING MONEY. Find another tire shop if the other wont deal.
I could almost get Michelin PS2s for $1200...
Old 07-14-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The transmission is an MN12 trans and they're not cheap when new. Although, you can get a used one for about 1200-1500, plus you'll need a clutch and the labor.
Just to reiterate. This is a heads/cam car. It's making significantly more power than it did from the factory. Do not pickup another stock M12. Send the existing one off to be rebuilt and beefed up. You should also be looking at an aftermarket clutch. The Z06 clutch will not hold that kind of power long.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Sounds like a beater I would steer clear of. A LS1 in a c5z would make me run for the hills.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
You're getting ripped and I hate to see it. (Profit is fine, since I'm a Republican, but damn, even though you are a democrat and deserve to lose all your assets and hung from the neck because of your rediculous vote for O6ama's communist/anti-American policies, but I feel that you have to be warned.)

I'm just letting you know that your tire dealer is bending you over the hood and feeding it to you...

I'm on my 2nd set of Toyo T1Rs and I'm paying $950 installed and spun balanced on my '01z.

YOU ARE WASTING MONEY. Find another tire shop if the other wont deal.
I could almost get Michelin PS2s for $1200...
I didn't pay for them! LOL I got them brand new with the car. The receipt was in the glove box. The next set of tires I buy will be NT01s or RA1s.

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
Just to reiterate. This is a heads/cam car. It's making significantly more power than it did from the factory. Do not pickup another stock M12. Send the existing one off to be rebuilt and beefed up. You should also be looking at an aftermarket clutch. The Z06 clutch will not hold that kind of power long.
How do you know it's "significantly more power"? The OP never said how much power it's making. The stock MN12 can handle LOTS of power. But you're right, the stock clutch is not the right clutch for anything over 400RW. That's likely the reason the trans is broken now. Possibly a bad clutch and hard shifts. Not a good combo. But I haven't heard of a N/A heads/cam setup that was streetable and it needed a built trans. I know people putting over 600RW through the stock T56. MN12 isn't any weaker than an MN6.

Originally Posted by ysb02
Sounds like a beater I would steer clear of. A LS1 in a c5z would make me run for the hills.
LS1 blocks are technically stronger than LS6 blocks. If you put an LS6 cam and heads on an LS1 they make the same power. The previous owner did a heads/cam package on an LS1 block. He likely used the LS6 oil pump and intake, so I don't see anything wrong with it. The only thing he wouldn't have is that extra oiling window on the LS6, but it's not like that's any real advantage.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you know it's "significantly more power"? The OP never said how much power it's making. The stock MN12 can handle LOTS of power. But you're right, the stock clutch is not the right clutch for anything over 400RW. That's likely the reason the trans is broken now. Possibly a bad clutch and hard shifts. Not a good combo. But I haven't heard of a N/A heads/cam setup that was streetable and it needed a built trans. I know people putting over 600RW through the stock T56. MN12 isn't any weaker than an MN6.
The tranny and clutch are shot. That's a good indicator it's getting more power pushed through it than the internals can handle. If it's anything but a mild cam with even stage 1 heads it will be pushing a good 50rwhp (or more) over the stock Z06. The folks putting 600rwhp through their stock MN12/M6 are very lucky. I only know 3 manual C5's locally that push that kind of power. 1 has had to have the tranny rebuilt. Another is currently out of commission awaiting a rebuilt tranny. The 3rd isn't driven much, but is still holding.

My car is probably in the 450-460rwhp range with the present combo and my transmission is showing signs of needing some attention. It's silly to find a stock unit for about the same cost to ship the existing transmission to a place like RPM and have it built to sustain the current power level and more.

I do agree with your comments on the LS1 motor. As long as it's sound and the important pieces are changed over the only thing it will effect is its originality for a collector.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fair enough. From my experience, if the clutch is going bad and you drive it hard it will screw up the trans because you're going to hurt forks and gears. However, a lot of times people thing the transmissions are going when it's just a single fork that's bad or there's some slight grinding which is usually a bad throw-out bearing or clutch.

If the money is the same to have RPM build the trans, then I'd say that's the best solution, but finding a use MN12 for cheap isn't hard. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVE...#ht_657wt_1166)

Just my thoughts... If it were my car, I'd have it built. I'd do a hardened output shaft too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette gurus....need advice