Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cruise control help?

I have both the brake switches working and power to both switches.

I have power to the cruise on switch and I have the cruise on signal. I have both the set/coast and resume/accel wired up to momentary switches and still no cruise.

What should I check next?

Thanks
Mark
Old 07-12-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

If I'm not mistaking I think it needs to be enabled in the tune, if the truck your PCM came from didn't have cruise, you'll have to turn it on. At least I think I remember reading that somewhere.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Launching!

I hope that is what it is!

I was starting to think I wasn't getting a VSS signal but wouldn't that throw a code?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are missing the VSS signal it should throw a code.

I`m not sure if there is an option to turn the cruise off/on in the PCM. I don`t see a way to do it in HPTuners. Maybe in EFILive?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
If you are missing the VSS signal it should throw a code.

I`m not sure if there is an option to turn the cruise off/on in the PCM. I don`t see a way to do it in HPTuners. Maybe in EFILive?
Any suggestions on where to look next?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ol-wiring.html

Are you DBW, I had the same problem, I had a brake light switch with
two n/o outputs and had the TAC hooked to one and the lights to the other.

Thanks to busta9876 and G-body mine was a simple fix.

Hope this helps you as much as it did me.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Thealien
Any suggestions on where to look next?
You're not using LED tail lights are you? I don't think they have enough resistance to allow the cruise to work. just a thought.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 67Mal
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ol-wiring.html

Are you DBW, I had the same problem, I had a brake light switch with
two n/o outputs and had the TAC hooked to one and the lights to the other.

Thanks to busta9876 and G-body mine was a simple fix.

Hope this helps you as much as it did me.
I have the correct 2 switches 1 NO (with the button pushed in) for the brake lights. and one NC for the TCC/cruise. I did have the NC switch at the edge of misadjustment but even after fixing that I have no cruise

And yes DBW and I have checked the wiring.

I have power to the on/off switch

I have the grey wire that goes from the other side of the on/off switch to the TAC at pin 14

I have the dark blue wire for set/coast at TAC pin 4

I have the grey/black wire for resume/accel at TAC pin 5

I have the light blue wire for stop lamp at TAC pin 6

I have the TCC switch going to the purple wire to the PCM at pin 33
Old 07-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
You're not using LED tail lights are you? I don't think they have enough resistance to allow the cruise to work. just a thought.
Stock brake light bulbs, thanks.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Launching!

I am just disapointed as i really want cruise.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 PM

What transmission did your motor come with, is that the trans your running now? If your running a old style TH400/350/glide/200r4 etc how did they reflash the transmission programming section of your PCM? did they swap in a manual trans segment?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:56 PM

Scratch that, looks like you are running the factory 4l60e. What did you do for a VSS? Is it calibrated correctly for your gear/ tires? I think that some of the GM cruise controls are not set up to engage till 35mph. If your VSS calibration was off and the PCM thought you were only doing 25mph when your actually at 55 trying to engage the cruise it may not engage.

2nd thought is you are turning the cruise power switch on, and then pushing the set/coast button to engage it right?

3rd. Are you using the GM stalk mounted cruise switch? If so Are you sure that it is in good shape. They have a history of having cracked wires as the wires exit the switch and duck into the column, then sometimes the cruise works and sometimes it doesn`t quite make the connection.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

VSS signal not working or or clutch pedal position enabled?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
Scratch that, looks like you are running the factory 4l60e. What did you do for a VSS? Is it calibrated correctly for your gear/ tires? I think that some of the GM cruise controls are not set up to engage till 35mph. If your VSS calibration was off and the PCM thought you were only doing 25mph when your actually at 55 trying to engage the cruise it may not engage.

I am using an advance adapters reluctor ring and VSS that is supposed to give the correct 40 pulse per drive shaft revolution

2nd thought is you are turning the cruise power switch on, and then pushing the set/coast button to engage it right? Correct

3rd. Are you using the GM stalk mounted cruise switch? If so Are you sure that it is in good shape. They have a history of having cracked wires as the wires exit the switch and duck into the column, then sometimes the cruise works and sometimes it doesn`t quite make the connection.
I am actually just using an on/off switch for the on/off and a momentary switch for each of the set/coast and resume/accel functions. I have tested all the switches and they all work.?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garys 68
VSS signal not working or or clutch pedal position enabled?
I haven't been able to test the VSS yet but believe their would be a code if it was not working. I was going to buy HP Tuners but they do not have cruise testing capabilities. Is there any inexpensive hand help scanners that have the ability to see the cruise inputs?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark
Old 07-14-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm using an aftermarket VSS (Dakota Digital) that is out of range for the program. It solves the stalling issues, doesn't show a code, but wont let the cruise control to work.
Is your VSS the original that came with the trans and computer?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garys 68
I'm using an aftermarket VSS (Dakota Digital) that is out of range for the program. It solves the stalling issues, doesn't show a code, but wont let the cruise control to work.
Is your VSS the original that came with the trans and computer?
Mine is a sort of unique set up. I mated my 4L60 to my NP205 transfer case. My transfer case is a 4 bolt mounting set up and the 4L60e is a 6 bolt set up. Advance adapters and Jags that run both sell a 40 tooth reluctor ring that attaches to the output shaft. I have a 6 bolt to 4 bolt adapter from advance adapters that allows me to mate the 4L60e to my NP 205 after changing the output shaft to a modified 700R4 shaft. There is a spot on that output shaft for the reluctor wheel.

The VSS is a stock/typical GM VSS that screws into that 4 bolt to 6 bolt adapter right over the reluctor wheel. After work today I removed the VSS and could feel the reluctor wheel still in the correct location.

Here is a picture of the reluctor wheel and VSS installed looking in from the end of the transmission/adapter.

I am hoping that maybe when I had the TCC switch misadjusted and tried using the cruise maybe it disabled it?

I would like to find a scanner that has cruise diagnostic capabilities without having to go for something expensive like a tech II
Old 07-14-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Thealien

I would like to find a scanner that has cruise diagnostic capabilities without having to go for something expensive like a tech II
Pretty much any scanner should tell you if you're getting a VSS signal, if the MPH moves above 0, then the VSS is working. Do you have access to a scanner of any kind? If you were close I'd let you use mine.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Launching!

I have a couple of friends that own garages and one has a tech II and the other a snap on scan tool. I just hate to bother them (they have already helped a lot).

I want to buy a scanner but I don't want to buy something for $100-200 and find out it doesn't have the diagnostic capabilities I want/need. I can't afford the $3000+ of a tech II. There has to be a cheaper alternative?

I'll either figure it out somehow or I will enjoy driving my 72 Jimmy with an LS/4L60 even without the cruise. I can always tear into the wiring/dash this winter? I was just hoping somebody would think of something I/We have not?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

elmscan, $60, tells you what all your sensors are sending.

Quick Reply: Cruise control help?