Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

full exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default full exhaust

i own a 99 SS and am looking to upgrade my full exhaust system. I currently have 3" cat back from Hooker but i want headers and a good y-pipe. What is the best set-up you know of for my car? I was thinking about the SLP full length headers with intermediate pipe and ditching the hooker for Magnaflow. Any suggestions? And do you have any issues with scrapping over bumps?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Teching In

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLE-30046/
SLP headers

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-15684/
Magnaflow
Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with stainless headers. I know, big ticket price, but you'll likely end up in my boat: 5 year old pacesetter long tubes with tons of rust ( they were ceramic coated) that I suspect have started to rust thru around the collector. I've been pointing my finger at my Vband clamps over a leak issue from that area, but it may easily be the rusty collector leaking... and polluting my O2 sensors. I think they were about $350 when I bought them around 5 years ago, and I only wish I could get a set of stainless headers now for the difference... but that ain't happening. If you plan on keeping your car forever then don't cheap out on something you'll be replacing later. Kooks and edelbrock are two good places to start.

As for the rest of the exhaust, what are your goals? If you want it to sound different then go with duals. I haven't heard any catback exhausts out there that can truly hide the Fbody sound. Plenty of cat backs sound good, but few can kill all the rasp completely. True duals are a whole different ball game. Are you looking for loud? Are you planning on a head/cam build?

Also, you will have to do poly engine mounts. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning since 50% of Fbody owners who put LT headers on don't find out until they're banging their y pipe on the floor pans under throttle. Don't worry, you won't even notice they're there.

If you're wanting a good flowing catback, they it's pretty hard to beat the Hooker. If you just want something louder then just have an electric cutout welded in. That will save you the frustration of getting an entirely different catback only to see that it doesn't flow any better and didn't change the sound in a "night and day" fashion.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated the Hooker cat back. Do not blame you one bit. SLP is not cheap, what about Kooks?

Just don't go flowmaster cat back.

Scapping comes into play if you lower your car, but it is not a big deal.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Some times if you look on ebay you can get some good deals.

I got a magnaflow catback for $200 shipped, used but they cut it really clean so when I get to it the muffler shop wont have problems with it.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Hooker makes a decent priced Stainless Steel Header. Does anyone know how they fit?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go with the SLP headers and mid-pipe. I want that loud grumble to the car without the rasp that seems to happen with some Camaros. At some point (when I get more money) I do plan on building up the motor to about 450-500hp. I'm just looking for a bit louder and deeper sound right now. I'll do some more research on the true duals. I gotta hear it and then I'll know what I want lol.

But thank you so much for your help. You guys know better then I do. I'm new to the car mechanics world. I've only really gotten my hands dirty with HH-60s, but well that's because it's my job lol. I'll do some more research and take all what you guys said into consideration.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARH.