Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Another gear oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another gear oil change question

OK so I want to change my rear end gear oil, but I don't know what I have auburn, eaton, etc... I have used the search button, but can't get a for sure answer on anything. What do I need to use, or once I pull my cover off can I tell what I need to use by looking. I just want to get the right kind of fluid in.
I downloaded a owners manual for a Firebird, it says to use synthetic, but IDK if the T/A has different specs as far as fluids go. I just want to get this done somebody please help.....
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
OK so I want to change my rear end gear oil, but I don't know what I have auburn, eaton, etc... I have used the search button, but can't get a for sure answer on anything. What do I need to use, or once I pull my cover off can I tell what I need to use by looking. I just want to get the right kind of fluid in.
I downloaded a owners manual for a Firebird, it says to use synthetic, but IDK if the T/A has different specs as far as fluids go. I just want to get this done somebody please help.....
check my couple old day thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ic-call-2.html

see that pix on my rear end ? if you look like that, use regular dino 80w90 castrol at oreilly or valvoline 80w90 with bottle GM or ford friction modified, get those are ford dealer or gm dealer. just buy 2 bottle of 80w90 gear oil anyway and dont forget the gasket and brake cleaner. take some pix and post it here.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If you see yellow springs then you have the Auburn and need an additive in the fluid. However, all synthetics that I have seen have the posi additive already in them so you wont need it. The additive wont hurt the Torsen even though it doesn't need it. So go down and buy 2 quarts of like Mobil 1 syn fluid in 75/90 weight and you're set either way.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
If you see yellow springs then you have the Auburn and need an additive in the fluid. However, all synthetics that I have seen have the posi additive already in them so you wont need it. The additive wont hurt the Torsen even though it doesn't need it. So go down and buy 2 quarts of like Mobil 1 syn fluid in 75/90 weight and you're set either way.
See that was
my major question, synthetic or reg gear oil.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Auburn dont recomment to use synthetic. I like to use synthetic over regular dino, cause I dont like to change it out often, but after research and peoples here recomment me using just regular dino 80w90 with friction mod, im happy with it. just drain it out and see what you have inside, Im sure you have Auburn.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:42 PM
FormerVendor

Use conventional gear oil not synthetic.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why does the owners manual say to use synthetic? Regardless, I trust you guys more than the manual so... Also, why use 80w-90 vs 75w-90?
Also, any particular brand to use?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why does the owners manual say to use synthetic? Regardless, I trust you guys more than the manual so... Also, why use 80w-90 vs 75w-90?
Also, any particular brand to use?
80w90 is regular dino gear oil ( only synthetic of 80w90 is amsoil ), 75w90 is only in synthetic.

-IMPORTANT LUBRICANT NOTEThe
Auburn Gear limited-slip differential design has been extensively tested with high quality
non-synthetic 80W90 hypoid oils treated with GM or Ford friction additives (3 oz. of additive
will treat 1 quart of oil). To avoid differential clutch chatter (noise) and for optimum
performance, use the oil and additive described above. Use of other additive and oil types may
cause differential clutch chatter.
! Ford Part Number: C8A219B546A
! GM Part Number: 1052358

If regular dino oil I like valvoline or castrol ( castrol is 1 dollar cheaper, but work great ), for synthetic I like mobi1 since it easy to find it local and work great.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I did mine 2 days ago its a torsen though. I put in lucas 80 90 and the bottles said no need for additive (theres already some in there?) anyway after that I decided to look at the manual and it did say to put synthetic with gm additive. Guess the manual dosent know theres a torsen on the car. So I got 2 FULL quarts in all set.

Just get regular 80 90 with 4 oz of additive for your auburn. Thats what I had in my 98.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

not to be offensive, but I would not use lucas product at all. their fuel injector product is good, oil addictive fail, gear oil fail, stay away from lucas gear oil. if you want proof just ask me, I got proof that lucas gear oil is fail or have lowest score compair to other gear oil.

Valvoline 80w90 at autozone for 5.99 or castrol hydro c 80w90 at oreilly for 4.99 your choice, Im change mine couple day ago with castrol hydro c 80w90 with ford friction mod, no noise around corner.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 PM
10 Second Club

Ok so wheres your proof? You know I was going to ask didnt you? Iv heard nothing but good things. A well known sponsor even told me lucas is good stuff. I even use the oil additive.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Ok so wheres your proof? You know I was going to ask didnt you? Iv heard nothing but good things. A well known sponsor even told me lucas is good stuff. I even use the oil additive.
yea I already know you gonna ask.

here for gear oil test

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

here for their oil additive

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

On motorcycle oil's.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

here in "small" hehe 9 pages topic about the oil additive

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...=890132&page=1

if you searching around bobistheoilguy their is alot other peoples making new topic about lucas product, every single topic nothing good only bad thing about lucas, only their fuel injector product is good, it actually lube the upper cylinder of the engine. But I use MMO for that. Enjoy reading, its a good reading site, that do with engine oil, filter, fuel. BTW " sponsor " told you that lucas stuff is good, well lucas pay em to say that right ? if some one pay me million dollar to say water is good for engine, I would say it to any one hehe.

Last edited by killagt; 07-14-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by killagt
75w90 is only in synthetic.
I cant for the life of me figure where you got this info. Are you saying that nobody offers a 75/90 in a non-syn? Bc if thats what your saying....
Old 07-14-2010, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I cant for the life of me figure where you got this info. Are you saying that nobody offers a 75/90 in a non-syn? Bc if thats what your saying....
I havent seen one in store around here yet. only see 75w90 in mobil 1, RP, syntec, Who made 75w90 in regular dino oil ? and where I can buy it. mabe I can learn something new. I did read some where few year ago that 75w90 regular dino gear oil doest not meet GL rating or something, and it hard to find, event though it nothing special. mabe you can show me the light here

Last edited by killagt; 07-14-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

yea I already know you gonna ask.

here for gear oil test

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

here for their oil additive

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

On motorcycle oil's.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

here in "small" hehe 9 pages topic about the oil additive

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...=890132&page=1

if you searching around bobistheoilguy their is alot other peoples making new topic about lucas product, every single topic nothing good only bad thing about lucas, only their fuel injector product is good, it actually lube the upper cylinder of the engine. But I use MMO for that. Enjoy reading, its a good reading site, that do with engine oil, filter, fuel. BTW " sponsor " told you that lucas stuff is good, well lucas pay em to say that right ? if some one pay me million dollar to say water is good for engine, I would say it to any one hehe.

Interesting but I really dont think its that bad. Seems like the tests were done with synthetic which im not useing. Im gonna look at that stuff more in depth later.
I dont believe a sponsor is trying to sell me gear oil so I have to disagree with you on that.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Interesting but I really dont think its that bad. Seems like the tests were done with synthetic which im not useing. Im gonna look at that stuff more in depth later.
I dont believe a sponsor is trying to sell me gear oil so I have to disagree with you on that.
I knew you gonna think like that ! , about they using lucas synthetic on the test and why not the regular dino lucas you are using, well you and I already know synthetic is support to be made better then regular dino, they have high protection and better addictive pack right ? amsoil use the best stuff that lucas can offer !! their test show that lucas synthetic do worse in every test, I wonder what about how their regular dino does hehe.

Any sponsor will try to sell you their product that they offer, but at the end its all up to you to make that decision ! right ? I believe after enought research and listen you peoples opinion, you will make right decision.

Last edited by killagt; 07-14-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So with either type of differential can I use non synthetic and additive? Thats what I am leaning towards, 2 bottles of non synthetic and 1 bottle of LSD additive. I really need to get this rear end oil changed. 150,000 miles and I know the guy never changed it. The trans oil looked like black water or some ****. No maintenance was ever done besides oil changes. And I highly doubt they were done at proper intervals.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think with any rear end you can use conventional + additive.
I've read from several sources that using conventional is better than synthetic. It may break down faster than synthetic and may need changed more often, but it has minerals in it that synthetic does not.
Most machine shops don't use synthetic gear oil inside of lathes, mills, and other machinery...because conventional is still the good stuff for longer machine life.
I just got done installing a Moser 12 bolt with TrueTrac, and I used 80/90 conventional with additive (even if the additive wasn't needed, it won't hurt).
Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

So with either type of differential can I use non synthetic and additive? Thats what I am leaning towards, 2 bottles of non synthetic and 1 bottle of LSD additive. I really need to get this rear end oil changed. 150,000 miles and I know the guy never changed it. The trans oil looked like black water or some ****. No maintenance was ever done besides oil changes. And I highly doubt they were done at proper intervals.
That what some peoples do without problem, for me I do what the company that made, recomment. yes 2 bottle of none synthetic and 1 bottle of LSD additive ( use ford, its only 8 buck, and GM have it for 12.99 I think ), dont forget the gasket and shop tower, and most important, buy a scuper with lazer blade so you can easy scupt the old gasket, or rtv sillion off the cover and rear diff. When you change the gear oil, make sure you get new shop tower and put it deep inside the rear diff to get more old oil out. and spray some brake cleaner on the gear teeth to remove all the black slug stuff. and dont go crazy with brake cleaner, you will choke yourself. and prepair those gear oil stink, I dont recomment do it inside the garage, do it out side the garage.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

I knew you gonna think like that ! , about they using lucas synthetic on the test and why not the regular dino lucas you are using, well you and I already know synthetic is support to be made better then regular dino, they have high protection and better addictive pack right ? amsoil use the best stuff that lucas can offer !! their test show that lucas synthetic do worse in every test, I wonder what about how their regular dino does hehe.

Any sponsor will try to sell you their product that they offer, but at the end its all up to you to make that decision ! right ? I believe after enought research and listen you peoples opinion, you will make right decision.
I emailed a sponsor on here about something else. We got into the coversation about what is good for your gear box. Thats when it was said "yea lucas is good stuff" He wasnt trying to sell me anything and I wasnt trying to buy anything. It was just a conversation we were having.

Also some people will recomend NOT useing synthetic in your gear oil also you know. This can go back and forth with a **** flinging contest.

So who did the test a competitor of lucas? lol remember what you said about the "sponsor trying to sell his product?" Well I could say the same thing as you about Amsoil trying to sell their product.

Im not trying to side with anyone. Hell,maybe lucas isnt "THE BEST" but im sure it gets the job done. Do you think I was aiming to buy "the best" when I saw it on the shelf for like 7-8 bucks a quart? lol Ill let you know how my engine and 10 bolt hold up. All honesty after using the lucas with my last oil change it quieted down the usual light tapping noise. lol

Last edited by senicalj4579; 07-14-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Another gear oil change question