Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questionable heads. What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Questionable heads. What do I do?

I purchased a set of 317 heads a few years ago and the more time that passes, the more concerned I am that these heads might be crap. I was told they flowed above 300 from 6000+ intake and above 215 from 6000+. I got a flow chart that seems to match the heads from "Kim Barr Racing Engines Inc." I don't know why this has been bothering me, but I have no idea the if these were well done or not. I am at the heads as it is, so I am totally good pulling them right now. Do I trust local shops to inspect them and flow them. None have any real respect with LS1 head work. Should I find a shop/site sponsor that will look them over and see if they are any good?

Thanks for any ideas,
John
Old 07-13-2010, 02:21 PM
9 Second Club

Part two: Now I can't find a flow bench anywhere in this cesspool of a state.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find someone with a flowbench and let them flow the heads and inspect them. Doesn't necessarily have to be someone who specializes in LS1 stuff.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:28 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by transsam
I purchased a set of 317 heads a few years ago and the more time that passes, the more concerned I am that these heads might be crap. I was told they flowed above 300 from 6000+ intake and above 215 from 6000+. I got a flow chart that seems to match the heads from "Kim Barr Racing Engines Inc." I don't know why this has been bothering me, but I have no idea the if these were well done or not. I am at the heads as it is, so I am totally good pulling them right now. Do I trust local shops to inspect them and flow them. None have any real respect with LS1 head work. Should I find a shop/site sponsor that will look them over and see if they are any good?

Thanks for any ideas,
John
First of all, what is 6000+ supposed to be, a lift measurement? Heads are typically tested on a flowbench and the cfm numbers are recorded at different lift points, like .100"-.200"-.300"-etc. I think you meant .600" lift. Double check that flow chart you have.

Second, what are you trying to find out? Why do you think the heads may not have been ported very well? Are you having issues with the car? Is it not making the power/MPH you expect? Is it really worth it to do all that work just to see what it flows? 300 cfm at .600" is very realistic for a ported 317 head, but no one races flow numbers.

Just about any competent machine shop should be able to inspect it for something wrong, like a jacked up valvejob or something, but everyone has their own theories as to how to port cylinder heads.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can help you out if your up for paying to ship one of your heads to CA

And give you accurate real world results you can compare and evaluate (good, bad, or indifferent).

PM me if you have an interest....we can go from there.

And being an LS head is a little unique (port entrance shape etc.), I would encourage you to deal with a place that has flowed enough of the Gen III heads to give you an idea how good or bad it is (meaning don't take it to a place that usually works with big block Chevy heads). Why not get a qualified opinion for your money spent as well (besides just being handed a flowsheet).

-Tony
Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah, I am not sure why I went RPM on that. It is .600, which I will see on each revolution for less than a fraction of a second.

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I can help you out if your up for paying to ship one of your heads to CA

And give you accurate real world results you can compare and evaluate (good, bad, or indifferent).

PM me if you have an interest....we can go from there.

And being an LS head is a little unique (port entrance shape etc.), I would encourage you to deal with a place that has flowed enough of the Gen III heads to give you an idea how good or bad it is (meaning don't take it to a place that usually works with big block Chevy heads). Why not get a qualified opinion for your money spent as well (besides just being handed a flowsheet).

-Tony
PM sent

Last edited by transsam; 07-13-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Send it to Tony man and you will KNOW what you have. If you are questioning this now it would suck to throw it it together and then second guess yourself when it doesn't make the power you wanted...... Just my .02...........
Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just sell those and buy a new set for $2-450...DONE
Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go wrong with Tony. Stand up guy that will shoot you straight.

Good luck.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would let Tony check them out. He won't steer you wrong. Even if you walk away with some trash heads in the end. It was money well spent instead of what someone mentioned above about installing and then really being pissed.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 PM
9 Second Club

I'll correct a little bit of what I posted. I have been running these and they took me into the 9's. I just happen to be pulling them to measure more accurately my compression ratio with my movement to actual dense air, rather than this 7,000'-11,000' crap.

I will be close enough to Tony next month (90 miles), and he has generously offered to show me around and to see the results at what I believe to be more than a fair price. As soon as I saw Tony post, I knew where to go! He has PMed me back almost instantly three times today.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because two words describe Tony.

Bad ***!