Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 build time, help me decide manual or auto VB

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L80 build time, help me decide manual or auto VB

Hello, I'm hopefully starting my 4L80E build next week and need opinions.
I was planning to go auto and use a TCI controller, but I see that most trans brakes out right now require you to be in a lower gear than just leaving it in Drive. I still have my stock shifter and wasn't really planning on changing it mainly because I haven't seen one I really like that doesn't look out of place.
The only ones I've seen that I really like is the 3rd gen Megashifter and the new TCI Streetfighter for new Mustangs (but I doubt I could get it to work). If I have to upgrade my shifter to protect from banging into Neutral, is the TCI controller worth it?

So where would be the best place to put my money then?
Full manual with transbrake and deal with a shifter I'm not crazy about
Auto with transbrake and ratchet shifter, still looking out of place
Auto with transbrake, and risk hitting neutral upshifting

I need to start ordering parts by early next week, please help me sort through the options.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

I think with a transbrake it reverse manual valvebody so d would be first and so on. Also you can use stock shifter. If you can get a 99+ ECM you can even have the computer control it if you want. I'm also in the process of getting a new trans and I bought a 02 ECM out of a wrecked truck. Just have to repin the connectors for it and reprogram the ECM to your computer plus add programming for 4l80 and program the fuel gauge and as far as I know it's good to go. For the trans you would need to repin the big connector and buy a harness for the extra sensor the trans has.

Ps I think the ECM programming would only work with a normal valvebody and not reverse. Not sure on that though

Last edited by Cool28; 07-13-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

You can operate the 4L80E using the '98 PCM, so save your money on the standalone controller, and either invest it in tuning software or towards the trans/converter, etc.

You can make a modification to the stock shifter gate so that it won't shift into neutral, basically a gated shifter that you can bang from low to 3rd or 4th depending on how you mod the shifter.

The Rossler transbrake requires you to be in manual 3rd so the over-run clutches are on. This protects the overdrive sprag.

Most of the transbrakes are going to want the over-run clutches to be on, so that it will protect the sprag. I have one but it requires you to be in manual low. My theory is that this is for safety, I don't want it to be accidently engaged at high speeds.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

I have HP Tuners, but I've spent way too much time toying with trying to get my current tranny to shift right, constantly something I'm fighting with the PCM on, tables, voltages, fault codes that don't trigger SES lights... It may not be the smartest money I've spent, but if I get the controller, I won't cry over the cost.
I'll have to search for that stock shifter mod, I haven't run across that yet.

Quick Reply: 4L80 build time, help me decide manual or auto VB