LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Just installed new opti.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just installed new opti.

Ok so i just installed my new optispark and a new optispark harness (the cavity that goes into the opti was murdered). And it seems now that the car takes awhile to start. Now after it runs and i shut it off, then i start it again, it starts right up. But if i wait about an hour or so, it takes a good 5 seconds. Things replaced on this car so far are Fuel pump, fuel filter, FPR, ICM, and opti. I bought the car back in March when it was still chilly and the initial startup took a mere second. Now in July when its about mid 80's it struggles a bit, but when it starts, runs fine. Any opinions?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what opti brand did you use ?
You lost fuel pressure some where. Check to see if your fuel inject is leaking, pull the injector with the rail up, then turn the key ( not start the car ), just turn the key like you prime the fuel pump, see if any fuel leak out the injector. Replace the fuel injector Oring while you at it.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went genuine GM Delphi. Also I dont smell fuel though?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
I went genuine GM Delphi. Also I dont smell fuel though?
you loosing fuel pressure, my old 97 z did exactly same thing, it hard to start when first start, and if you start the car again after 1 to 10 min shut off, it will start back up, but after hours or more park, it hard to start.

I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge at back of the fuel rail, to check fuel pressure, turn the keys ( not start the car ). and look at the fuel pressure gauge see how much psi you getting and how long it take until it the needle going back down,if it not hold the pressure, you have a leak, btw you can borrow the fuel pressure gauge tool at autozone.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Last time I checked my fuel pressure it read 42 KOEO then dropped to 36 after the pump primed
Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
Last time I checked my fuel pressure it read 42 KOEO then dropped to 36 after the pump primed
you have a leak, pull the fuel rail with injector still attach and prime the pump, see any leak their, and replace the injector oring while you at it, dont forget lube the new oring with light coat of engine oil before but in back on intake. .

about my other 97 z, have same problem as you, find out it have leak injector, cause when I prime the pump, i think the psi was 40 something then it drop down fast. anyway I bought a use low miles set of some member here and it work fine, car start right up every time I turn key.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well heres the latest. Yesterday I dropped something off somewhere and the car was off for about 10 mins or so. I go to start it, and it clunks around at like 300 rpm then out of nowhere it shot up to about 1800-1900 rpm and sat there for about 30-40 secs, then it returned to normal idle (800-900 for me usually)
What the he** is going on???

Quick Reply: Just installed new opti.