Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Mockup Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Question Plastic Mockup Blocks

Who has used one of the LSX plastic mockup blocks/heads and how did you like it? Was it light enough to move around by hand? Useful?

I am thinking about getting one to help with my swap. I have firewall mounted A/C and I'm thinking the mockup block & heads would help a lot to figure out where I may need to modify things. I don't want to stab & restab the motor a bunch of times if I can avoid it. Any opinions on their usefulness?

Also when using a mockup block, is it important to bolt up the tranny to determine final engine location or are just the motor mounts adequate? It's been a while since I've pulled or stabbed my engine and I can't remember if it moves around a lot when you mate the tranny or if the motor mounts by themselves determine how the engine is angled.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The plastic block and heads is a lot of money to spend for something you'll probably only use once.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

i use a hollowed out ls1 block. its heavy but its light enuff for me to carry and move around.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Pulling the engine in and out a couple dozen times is a rite of passage in building your own monster car. Consider it a character building exercise.

Plus it is usually the accessories (like exhaust, alternator, AC etc) that forces the engine to be shifted in one direction or another. I don’t think a plastic block is going to be that detailed.

At some point you are going to want the full engine and trans in place before you set the final motor & trans mounting points. Being able to adjust all three can be crucial in getting the rear diff pinion angles right.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Pulling the engine in and out a couple dozen times is a rite of passage in building your own monster car. Consider it a character building exercise.
Ha, ha, ha, ha!!! If I had only kept count of the number of times I have done this... do I get a prize or a straight jacket? To paraphrase a quote from Pulp Fiction "just because we ARE characters doesn't mean we have character."

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
At some point you are going to want the full engine and trans in place before you set the final motor & trans mounting points. Being able to adjust all three can be crucial in getting the rear diff pinion angles right.
The block I saw had metal bosses for all the accessories, heads, valve covers and headers - but at $370 it wasn't economical for the home builder.

Cool to have - yes, necessary - hardly. Depending how well you measure and what your level of experience is you won't have to do it many times.

Since we are talking about expensive one-trick-pony dream tools - does anyone have a set of header legos?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Put the engine with the trans...
Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Before you consider buying one of these blocks, you might want to read this...
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=258699
Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

If you plan on doing several LSx swaps, then buy one, otherwise stick to your engine going in

Why would you have to pull/stab the engine more than a few times?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
Before you consider buying one of these blocks, you might want to read this...
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=258699
I would read this thread first. Doesnt sound like its worth the headaches...
Old 07-15-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd look into buying a used one, then resell to somebody else. Should be able to recoup the cost, minus shipping.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a P-Ayr foam block for my project mock up with great results. I held tight tolerances around the oil pan and headers and everything was spot on when it came time for final assembly.

Quick Reply: Plastic Mockup Blocks