LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

junkyard pullout?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default junkyard pullout?

Hi,

I'm going to be putting an LT1 into an old Jaguar. I've been looking at complete pullouts on the internet and I was wondering if I should get a junkyard engine or go another route.

Anyway, I would like to hear your experiences. Those of you who have used junkyard engines, was it worth it or would you recommend a rebuilt engine instead?

Thanks,

Darian
Old 07-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I'd check the boards first. That way at least you have some alleged accurate info of what you're buying. I have a friend in Maryland who is selling his complete long block with cam and supporting valvetrain which has resulted in high 11's w/ a M6. Engine has 75,000 miles. I can put you in touch w/ him if you'd like...

Here's the thread he made about his latest track pass:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...y-finally.html
Old 07-14-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy a junkyard pullout, get it cheap!!! Bought a junkyard pull out from a guy who was going to do an RX-7 and never got around to it and I am glad I got it cheap because the crank and rods were trashed. Ended up having to buy a new rotating kit for it.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Complete pull-out, engine and trans. "Guarantee with warranty" and you can't go wrong.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
Complete pull-out, engine and trans. "Guarantee with warranty" and you can't go wrong.
Even with a warranty it's a huge gold plated pain in the *** to have to haul an engine back to the junkyard. Usually the "guarantee" at a junkyard is time limited.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:31 PM

I Have a complete drivetrain thats still in my 96 z28
if i were to sale it i was wanting to get rid of everything
from the mas air flow sensor all the way down to the oil pan
all sensors fuses wiring harness computer o2s
it has 105k miles
needs gasket ovwrhaul kit
still in car running

if interested or know a place i can get rid of it
email me upinsmoke1505@yahoo.com
Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're near Milwaukee, WI you can come pull the engine and transmission (4L60E) out of my caprice if you want. You can even drive the car first to see that it works.

Last edited by Z28Roxy; 07-14-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say get everything but the long block from a yard. I mean, you never know what kind of abuse the motor had in its life. Like mentioned above, warranty is great but, it will still be YOUR TIME AND MONEY spent pulling it back out and returning it if there's a problem. Just my honest opinion
Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If you want a junkyard pullout, that's a potentially cheap source for an engine. However, plan and budget for an overhaul of the long block, around $1200-1600. I went through my 67,000 mile engine and found surprises in the cam bearings and a couple of scars in the crank bearings. Glad I looked- I would not have guessed my relatively young engine would have these issues.

If you were doing an LSx swap into it, you'd have a ready and ample supply of very low mile engines, say for instance one from a GTO. If you want an engine that's not been produced since 1997, prepare to spend a portion of the difference getting it machined to suitable use for your purpose. What's your budget like for the project?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:15 AM
Teching In

Thanks, everyone. I probably should have said where I live earlier. Right now I'm not interested in shipping an engine across the country as I know that some are available close to home.

I'm overseas at the moment, but I'll be coming back in a couple of months. If someone in San Antonio happens to have a pullout, though, I have a friend who could come by.

Originally Posted by Gojira94
If you want a junkyard pullout, that's a potentially cheap source for an engine. However, plan and budget for an overhaul of the long block, around $1200-1600. I went through my 67,000 mile engine and found surprises in the cam bearings and a couple of scars in the crank bearings. Glad I looked- I would not have guessed my relatively young engine would have these issues.

If you were doing an LSx swap into it, you'd have a ready and ample supply of very low mile engines, say for instance one from a GTO. If you want an engine that's not been produced since 1997, prepare to spend a portion of the difference getting it machined to suitable use for your purpose. What's your budget like for the project?
You bring up some good points. I guess it's kind of a crap shoot on whether or not you get a good engine. It might be better to buy the whole car, I suppose, but my neighbors wouldn't like that too much.

I have about $5,000 to spend on the swap. I know a good machinist, but if I could get a good used engine I would do that instead.

What about used transmissions? I'm planning on using a 4L60E.

Thanks,

Darian

Quick Reply: junkyard pullout?