Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat of the pants TQ curve differences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seat of the pants TQ curve differences?

So, unfortunately my ability to ride in a lot of different high HP cars is pretty limited to mostly stock LS1s (TA/Camaro/Corvette). Definitely nothing over 400 HP.

What my question is, how does a high flat torque curve feel like compared to a sloped torque curve?

The way I see it as being is a flat tq curve will throw you back in the seat immediately, but does it keep you planted there? Does the tq curve have to keep climbing to keep the sensation of being pushed into your seat?

Likewise, does a sloped tq curve kind of progressively push you harder back into the seat up to whatever the max tq is?

Obviously depending on where the starting/ending tq numbers makes a difference, just trying to figure out what I would like better before spending a bunch of money. I think I'm leaning towards as flat and high a tq curve as possible, but we'll see.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, of course you are leaning to a flat and high as possible torque curve, everyone and their mother is. That is the million dollar question. How to develop 500 ft lbs of torque at 500 RPMs and maintain it to 10,000 RPMs....

Horsepower is only torque multiplied over time (rotations per minute).

Diesels can make a lot of torque due to their characteristics but do not generally make a lot of HP because they cannot sustain high RPMs so that RPM multiplier for torque that = HP just isn't there.

Gas engines on the other hand, rely more on spinning faster at higher RPMs and can usually develop more HP although not as much torque. Many times this can make them faster over distance because of gearing (one can keep the RPMs high at all times in order to multiply the torque constantly (even though actual available torque is lower at high RPMs)) and make more horsepower.

If you can make a lot of torque at low RPMs you can get up to high RPMs faster, overcome the inertia of the vehicle faster, and if you can maintain that torque into high RPMs the results will be even better because the RPM multiplier will have increased on top of the torque and horsepower will be huge.