General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC - Hissing from dash when turned off

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC - Hissing from dash when turned off

This problem started yesterday. When I have the AC on everything appears to be working normal. The air is cold and when the levels on the dials are changed the amount of air coming out of the vents also change. But when the main AC switched is turned off, I get a hissing sound like air being released from a tire for around 3 seconds. It starts off loud and then slowly disapates. This is the *** that has the ac and max ac selection and only does it for this ***. My v6 camaro does the samething ever since i bought it used and have no idea what it is. Could it be the *** itself or the vaccuum controller? This is such an annoying sound. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kb274868123
This problem started yesterday. When I have the AC on everything appears to be working normal. The air is cold and when the levels on the dials are changed the amount of air coming out of the vents also change. But when the main AC switched is turned off, I get a hissing sound like air being released from a tire for around 3 seconds. It starts off loud and then slowly disapates. This is the *** that has the ac and max ac selection and only does it for this ***. My v6 camaro does the samething ever since i bought it used and have no idea what it is. Could it be the *** itself or the vaccuum controller? This is such an annoying sound. Any help would be appreciated.
Mine did the exact same thing for over a year. Never had a problem until it just recently went out. Mess around with the hoses coming out of your accumulator and see if you hear a hissing noise when moving them. Mine did.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

That would suck if i have to get it replaced because i got a new ac compressor last september when i bought the car. The used car dealer that i bought it from was saposed to fix the ac in the contract of the sale. Instead he just recharged it and two weeks later i heard a metal on metal grinding noise. I brought it to another shop and they said the bearing in the compressor were not lubricated and where spining metal on metal. You could see the metal flakes coming out of the compressor. Because i was going back to college and they installed a remanufactured compressor instead of a new one because they were not bale to get a new one in before I left. The ac has always been ice cold and did not have that hissing sound until yesterday which was 10 months after i got a new compressor. Has anyone brought their car the an AC shop and been told where this noise is comign from?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

The **** IS the vacuum controller. You may have a slight leak on the backside of it where all the hoses plug into it.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kb274868123
Its normal forget about it.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Launching!

yeah mine does the same **** and i ignore it, AC freezes me out still so I don't worry about it at all
Old 07-15-2010, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Some one please correct me if I am wrong but I dont believe that it is sapossed to happen. My 95 camaro has the same problem and the AC does not work. I tried recharging it and it last for a couple days and then nothing. I am concerned that the same thing is going to happen to my 99 LS1. Has anyone else experience this when the AC is turned off and considers this normal?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Based on your brief description of your 95, I'd say it has a refrigerant leak that needs to be dealt with....not the same problem at all.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

I have a 99z. I've owned it since 2002. Mine has always made a hissing sound when you shut off the a/c. Still works great. Never bothers me a bit. As long as it still blows cold air and there are no other problems you should be o.k. Unless the sound really bothers you that much I'd leave it alone.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing. Everything seems to work fine. It doesn't bother me so I wouldn't mess with it.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Latch
Mine does the same thing. Everything seems to work fine. It doesn't bother me so I wouldn't mess with it.
Same Here!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

probly equalising (spelling) pressure between high and low side.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:58 AM
TECH Regular

mine does it too. Kinda annoying.

One of my friends asked if it was a blow off valve and if I had a turbo. I had a good laugh.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Launching!

My 1995 Z did this too and worked fine for almost 4 years. I have to get it checked for leaks and recharged again since the o-ring from the condenser to the aluminum line failed and leaked out all the refridgerant.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
probly equalising (spelling) pressure between high and low side.
yeah, typically you can hear it on chevy trucks really well when you turn the truck off it goes HISSSSSS

thats just pressure equalizing from high to low through the oriface tube. usually normal. I'm not real familure with the F-body hvac systems though.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cherryelky305
yeah, typically you can hear it on chevy trucks really well when you turn the truck off it goes HISSSSSS

thats just pressure equalizing from high to low through the oriface tube. usually normal. I'm not real familure with the F-body hvac systems though.
A/C system is a A/C system I think it is the pressures equalizing.

Quick Reply: AC - Hissing from dash when turned off