LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LPP - To Coat or Not to Coat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LPP - To Coat or Not to Coat?

Guys,

I have finally decided I am going with the LPP headers, question is has anyone had them Jett Hott coated (ceramic)? I know they are stainless and don't need it but looking to too keep the temps down. What do you think and is it really worth it?

BTW - Not real happy with Carl's customer service over at LPP as it takes the guy over a week to reply to an email and only after you send him several followup emails requesting a response. Hope the cheaper price makes up for this pain.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't coat mine. Waste of $$$.

Last edited by 94Z28rag; 07-15-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not coat mine. I kind of like the natural heat markings on the stainless and there is no issue with under hood temps. My number 8 primary is 1/4 inch away from the fan box and there is no issue there.

If your looking for power gains, look elsewhere. The gains vs. money spent is going to make you sick to your stomach IMHO untill someone can actually document them.

The stainless is going to last forever. Coating them to me, is a complete waste of money that can be used for better things.

Also IMHO, I can deal with crappy support to save the bucks that are being saved with this product over the Kooks. I can also deal with some minor fitment issues to. In the end you do get what you pay for but once the bugs are worked out, life is good. Carl has always quickly responded to my notes plus back when I bought mine a year ago or so, he even left me his cell phone number to contact him with questions prior to purchasing. Maybe he is just backed up.

Still no regrets with the product and that even takes into account that I paid more for mine then, than they cost now.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Didn't coat mine. I would save the $$$. By the looks of your car it looks to be in "show quality" condition. With that said, you will probably have to modify a few things to get the LPP's to fit. Grind the knuckle, passenger side has fitment issues against the wall and you might have to hammer it back a bit, possibly grind the K-Member. So I'm not sure if you want to do this. Plus I have heard so much negative feedback about their customer service lately that I would maybe consider saving the extra few bucks up and going with Kooks and calling it a day. Never a fitment issue and their customer service it stellar. Just my .2
Old 07-15-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

I did not grind my knuckle. That just seems dangerous to me depedning how much you grind. I shifted my column over first. The separted the steering shaft shaft where it telescopes, shortened it then welded it. This simply changes the operating angle of the steering shaft, made it a tad more straight. I had a detailed write up on the big *** LPP thread that the mods killed.

This gave me plenty of clearance without having to grind the knuckle. I had to do this with my AS&M headers too.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

I had coated Hookers before my uncoated Kooks. Engine bay temps are much higher with the uncoated headers. I guess it is a matter of preference but I don't like the look of uncoated stainless once they turn from the heat. I have my engine out right now and sent my headers to be coated.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have LPP's and I wish I had coated them. I do not care for the look after heat and they are very spotty.
They look as if something splashed or dripped on them, but my car is spotless so I'm not sure why they look this way. I have seen stainless turn colors, but not stained like appearance like this.

otherwise great header especially for the money
Old 07-15-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Do the job right the first time.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did not coat mine, but that was only because I didn't have the cash or time at the moment. If I could do it again, I'd have them coated.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

For ***** and giggles, what does it cost?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wrd1972
For ***** and giggles, what does it cost?
Jet Hot wanted something like $300 for headers and y-pipe.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Jet Hot wanted something like $300 for headers and y-pipe.
Thats a little cheaper than what they quoted me years ago for my AS&M mid tubes and y. They wanted $400+ IIRC.

Maybe someone can do some testing (before/after) to see what the under hood temperature differences really are.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Thats a little cheaper than what they quoted me years ago for my AS&M mid tubes and y. They wanted $400+ IIRC.

Maybe someone can do some testing (before/after) to see what the under hood temperature differences really are.
Several years ago, someone did this testing using a FLIR camera and posted the findings. I saved all the pictures on my hard drive but lost it all a few years back. Sad.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jett Hott quoted me $285 for the coating of just the two headers and $34 for the shipping. I'm still wavering on weather or not to go this route. Is there any other coating outfits I should contact or get quotes from?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, Jet Hot or nothing.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Jett hot is not the only option either, there is other/better companies that do ceramic coating. Heany Industries of Scottsville, NY, Heanium coating is fantastic. It just use to come in funny colors Wht, Yellow, and a Light Grn. They may have more colors and options now and I would contact them to see what they can do for you. It use to get used on a lot on pro race teams a lot more than people think. But they got back logged due to their aerospace and industrial apps, and I don't even know if they do automotive apps anymore. I feel if you have got the cash, the $300 USD is way less than the amount you would have spent on Kooks uncoated LTs, it just a shame to cover up that nice polished finish. But the polished finish does not last very long, till it turns funky brownish at the y and on the bends of the pipes, then all over. Looks wise you can get the stainless re-polished if its for a show car, but not after you get it coated.

I would just get the best coating I could find, and look for a bright Silver or Chrome look, with the highest temp rating they have, as it will burn off after a while and then it looks like crap, and no longer offers the same degree of heat containment, as when new. This was a problem with coated PS LTs, but they weren't Stainless and rusted underneath, maybe with LPPs this won't happen.

Dub

Last edited by 1993 z28 f1; 07-15-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

There are several other companies that offer quality ceramic coatings, but are usually more expensive.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

I wish I had done mine. Once the new motor goes in Ill prob end up getting them done. They dont look bad but they dont look brand new either. No matter what they are still some of the nicest headers for the money IMO. As far as Kooks goes I believe their stepped headers have most the same fitment issues but cost double, I havnt heard of any fitment issues with Kooks non stepped headers.

So IMO if you got the cash get them coated.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

AChotrod, you can always get them repolished after they have been heat cycled they last a lot longer the next time if done right, and look great for quite awhile. Check out my garage, more pics and I got one of the very first LPP sets and had them repolished after they were on for a year and they still looked great, quite a few months later.

Dub
Old 07-15-2010, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

No **** huh I did not realize you could polish out the coloration. Going to check them out right now.

Quick Reply: LPP - To Coat or Not to Coat?