Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Time for a new Differential.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new Differential.

I think it maybe time for a new differential and gears....tell me what you think...

What causes this this is the only part of the rear-end that I can find with any serious damage or wear marks, why?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

do i need to replace it?

Last edited by saltwaterreefguy; 07-15-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Bump^
Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

does the car burn both tires still(posi working good or not)? that is a your side gears and they are only spinning when the car turns. the sharper the turn the faster they spin. most of the time you see something like this its not hurting much and is usually caused from the car doing one wheel burnouts. M6 cars are more likely to have this happen as well due to the on-off shock loads seen during gear shifts.
do you need to replace it? that's you're call as it really isn't doing much, but at the same time isn't just normal wear to see side gear teeth chunk like that. if the posi doesn't hold then absolutely replace it as the diff unit isn't doing its job anyway.
It's an Auburn anyway... not that good when it was new. once an Auburn posi wears there is no repair. Get into a Eaton and don't look back if you are gonna keep the 10 bolt in it.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you very much, it was making a grinding sound any speed over 30mph, on or off the gas... so I think I'm just going to save up for a new rear.