General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Next Steps for AC?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Next Steps for AC?

Two years ago my AC compressor died and sent metal shavings throughout the systems. I had the whole system replaced with new parts except for the compressor, which was given to me from the previous owner. The compressor ended up leaking so I havn't had any AC.

After two summers with a black car and black leather, it's time for me to fix the AC.

I am picking up an AC compressor off a '04 GTO with 20K on it. Will I have to do anything besides taking off the old compressor and putting the new compressor in? Is there a special tool to take off the lines? Do I have to oil it? Then do I just have to take it to a shop to have the system evacuated and charged?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by schuby87
I am picking up an AC compressor off a '04 GTO with 20K on it. Will I have to do anything besides taking off the old compressor and putting the new compressor in?
That depends, the new compressor may not be indexed correctly to allow you to just bolt it on. If it is, then yes, just bolt it on. If not, then you'll have to re-index it.
Is there a special tool to take off the lines?
No
Do I have to oil it?
Yes, 2 ounces poured into the compressor. Make sure you use the right oil. When you put it together last time, did you add oil then? If not, then you should put oil in the drier, too.
Then do I just have to take it to a shop to have the system evacuated and charged?
Yep, that's it....as long as any part that may have had metal bits in it is gone now. As it's been a couple of years, I'd probably put a new drier on also but that's up to you.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the GTO compressor has a side entry for the lines, the F-car is a rear entry. They are not a direct interchange.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...n-img_2830.jpg

Above is a picture of the GTO compressor you have.

Ryan
Old 07-19-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

i would get a new accumulator and orifice tube, flush out the lines and condenser, fill the compressor with new oil and add the rest to the inlet hose on the accumulator, put a vacuum pump on it for a couple of hours, and then recharge

Search this Thread