Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

going from a fbody to a gto. any advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question going from a fbody to a gto. any advice

has anybody on here made the switch from a ls1 fbody to a gto? or even a gto to fbody?

if so, what were your thoughts? good/bad/or indifferent?

i recently wrecked my Z and have been kickin around different ideas as to what to do with it.the original idea was to just find another fbody and swap all my stuff into it cuz i can find 93-97s all day long for pretty cheap. but the new kick im on is to sell my silverado and buy a gto. then take the motor from my car and put it in a lifted 70s or 80s chevy 4x4 (i cant be w/o a truck). these trucks were what i started on back in the day and are the reason i became a gearhead.

anyway, i can think of pros and cons for both ideas, but the main one i keep thinking about is..... "will i like a gto as much as my camaro?"

any input would be appreciated
Old 07-16-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I sold my 99 T/A for my 04 GTO. Best thing i did. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better interior. I thought my goat felt faster then the T/A. Alot better thought out engine department. ( way better to work on ) If you like dual exhaust you already have one lol. Less creaks and moans while driving. More comfortable then the F-Body. Not as many people have them either.

The only thing i wish my GTO had that the T/A did have is T-Tops. But i can live without it.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

GTOs are great cars. you can buy mine for 16k.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

upgrade the suspension if the one your buying isnt already. Other then that, its a nice car, and very fun!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:57 AM
Teching In

i went from my 99 Z28 to the 06 GTO, loved it!
lucky for me though i got my goat dirt cheap, and sold the camaro high.
but its alot better, i just miss the short throw and the cutout exhaust, but ill remedy that soon, but yea the GTO is a lot better than the f body
Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I have both. The Goat is more refined, considerably nicer interior and makes for a more comfortable DD. Downside is that they are heavy and need some serious suspension help. Most of them got plagued with uneven tire wear and/or tire scrubbing. Pedders makes bushings, springs, shocks etc. that will fix those issues just factor in additional money to fix that if it hasn't been fixed already. I prefer the f-body no questions asked because I'm more into the muscle car feel, dislike the weight of the GTO and IRS but there is no denying that it is a nice car and it's certainly a large step ahead of a 4th gen f-body.