Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Port and Polishing

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Port and Polishing

So I decided I am going to buy a Fast Intake (most likely a Fast 90) and throttle to go along with the 243 heads and the cam I plan on purchasing as well. With that being said I want to port and polish the heads and intake along with a throttle body to give me the best flow and performance upgrade possible. I want to do it myself, but have never done one before. I did some research and got bits and pieces of what I need. My question if for those of you that have done this how hard is it and how did you do it? From what I saw I thought a dremel would work. Are there any exact numbers that I should be spacing certain areas to or anything like that? Sorry if I sound like a noob but I want to do this right and I don't really feel like dropping $2,000+ on something it looks like I can do. Thanks.
-Dan
Old 07-17-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't polish the runners.buy some cheap 853 heads for $50 to practice on.go to ls1hardcore.com to see more pics of home ported heads.you will love porting your own heads,it takes some time to get it right.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did my first set of ls heads last winter and i just went off of pics and suggestions off this site. They flowed very well and it wasnt that hard at all to do, just time consuming.
A household dremel wont work well for porting though. you need to either go with a good air die grinder or a name brand 1/4" electric grinder.
Buy yourself a couple of different carbides and lots of cartridge rolls.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by synisterC5
i did my first set of ls heads last winter and i just went off of pics and suggestions off this site. They flowed very well and it wasnt that hard at all to do, just time consuming.
A household dremel wont work well for porting though. you need to either go with a good air die grinder or a name brand 1/4" electric grinder.
Buy yourself a couple of different carbides and lots of cartridge rolls.
Yea as this guy stated a dremel is not going to work well. I did a set of 241's my first time. I practiced on a junk head first then started work on the 241's. You'll need some good carbide bits and rolls. It tooke me about 30 hours its quite time consuming. Research as much as you can because it is easy to port in the wrong areas and mess up the heads. most of the porting will be on the "roof" of the runner (removing the rocker boss) and smooting out the short side radius.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...d-porting.html