Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help: Transmission/bellhousing stuck on block.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Help: Transmission/bellhousing stuck on block.

I've seen a post about this years ago but can't find it now. Keep in mind, I've swapped transmissions and clutches in this car close to 10 times.
Events:
  • Buy new solid hub clutchnet disc and go to install it but disc not marked "Flywheel side", etc and I took the prior clutch out back in Sept 2009, so I don't remember which side is which.
  • Poll lists with pictures of disc front and back, inquiring which side goes to transmission/engine.
  • Finally, someone identifies 'flat side' goes to motor. I install it that way.
  • After completion of installation, I bleed hydraulics and the pedal works perfectly. I go to start car with transmission in neutral, clutch pedal not depressed (Neutral safety switch bypassed many years ago. Starter strains to turn over motor (as if battery low)
  • I get jumper cables and try to start it again. Though slightly stronger effort, still can't spin fast enough to start. WTH?
  • In a random thought, I press the clutch pedal and try to start it. It starts immediately and idles perfectly. Again, WTH?
  • With the transmission still in neutral, I slowly let the pedal out (car is on four jackstands) but as the pedal feeds out, the motor is starting to labor to idle. I press the pedal down again and the motor starts idling perfectly. Phock!
  • I turn off motor. Get out and try to rotate the rear tires by hand(still in neutral). They spin freely. I put the car in gear. Try to turn tires. Just as it should be, no motion. I get back in car, shift the shifter to all gears. Snick, snick, snick.. each one perfect.
  • I press the pedal again and start the car. She starts right up. I slowly let the pedal out until the motor dies. Sigh...
  • One week later (yesterday) I pull everything off to unbolt the bellhousing, with the intent to pull the tranny and merely flip this disc. I've done this so many times it's not a big deal until.... The transmission/bell housing is seemingliy fused to the block. I check over and over and over for the 6 bolts holding the transmission to the block. They're all out, I've got the bolts in my baggie marked "Bellhousing bolts". What in THE hell...
  • I wiggle, push, pull, pry, lift, shake the tailshaft and this thing might as well still have the 6 bolts torqued to 35lbs. It doesn't budge the thickness of a razor blade off the block. At this point I'm pretty sure the disk has welded itself to either the input shaft. As I type these, I just thought that the splines of the disc and the input shaft might be contorted/twisted in the disk.
    Sheesh...
  • One more effort, I unbolt the transmission from the bellhousing and try to pull, twist, shake it off. Via pry bars (I have something tangible to pry on between the tranny/bellhousing) I'm barely able to get about 1/4" gap but it's fighting back the whole time.

Unless you guys can think of something else, my plan is to cut a 'window' in the bottom of the bellhousing and spin the motor around to unbolt the perimeter of pressure plate bolts so the transmission/pressure plate/clutch disc can come out together.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

As a follow up to my own post, I expanded my search for this issue outside the Fbody community and found similar scenarios (backwards clutch disc, tranny won't come out, cut hole in bellhousing to access the pressure plate). Looks like I have a plan, I just don't like it very much....
Old 07-18-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aren't there 8 bolts holding the bellhousing to the block?
Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

8 indeed! Two of the holes are for guide pins, the remaining 8 are all bolts.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Not on the LT1.
Went out and punched a hole in the bellhousing and used my remote starter button to bump the pressure plate around for each bolt.

After all the pressure plate bolts were out, the transmission/bellhousing slipped right off.

Here's the disc and man, is it stuck on that input shaft.

This is the side some guy on the board, probably honestly trying to help but was absolutely wrong, told me to face to the motor. The side with the protruding splined hub goes to the flywheel, NOT THE FLAT SIDE!

I'm going to try;
  • Slidehammer first
  • If that doesn't work, I'll try a two prong puller
  • If neither of those work, I guess I'll take it to a freaking machine shop
Originally Posted by therealcreeper
aren't there 8 bolts holding the bellhousing to the block?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Ah well there you go! I forget about the LT1 lol and it's right in your sig! Oh well. At least you were able to get it off.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:44 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It would help your post if you'd say LT1 T56 before your bullet points.

That sucks that your hub may have caught on the PP fingers and allowed the disc to hammer the splines of the input. Sorry you found the disc assembly direction the expensive way. :\

More than likely, your input and the hub of the disc are junk. Inspect the splines now. If it looks like they're damaged, depending on how the disc is assembled, you could grind off rivets and get most parts off except the hub. You may want to stop by a brake / clutch machine shoppe anyway since they could talk to you about replacing the hub of the disc.

I might have a spare bell if you're in need.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
This is the side some guy on the board, probably honestly trying to help but was absolutely wrong, told me to face to the motor. The side with the protruding splined hub goes to the flywheel, NOT THE FLAT SIDE!
Yeah, he probably thought you were an LS1 car. That sucks. I would have called the clutch manufacturer for that one. Good luck getting it off!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

I did contact, rather 'try' to contact, them via email and phone. No answer on the email and VM was all I got on the call. Well, to be certain. it's a lesson I'll never forget, lol..
Thanks for the supportive words guys. I'll probably grind off the rivets as the other gent suggested and use those holes for a puller, etc.

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Yeah, he probably thought you were an LS1 car. That sucks. I would have called the clutch manufacturer for that one. Good luck getting it off!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks on the offer about the Bell housing. I'm checking with a local Fbody only boneyard in Rensselaer, NY first. If he comes up empty, I may contact you. Any idea how much you want + shipping to area code 12060?
Originally Posted by jmd
It would help your post if you'd say LT1 T56 before your bullet points.

That sucks that your hub may have caught on the PP fingers and allowed the disc to hammer the splines of the input. Sorry you found the disc assembly direction the expensive way. :\

More than likely, your input and the hub of the disc are junk. Inspect the splines now. If it looks like they're damaged, depending on how the disc is assembled, you could grind off rivets and get most parts off except the hub. You may want to stop by a brake / clutch machine shoppe anyway since they could talk to you about replacing the hub of the disc.

I might have a spare bell if you're in need.

Quick Reply: Help: Transmission/bellhousing stuck on block.