Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Old school musclecar guy coming back from the land of two wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old school musclecar guy coming back from the land of two wheels...

Hey LS1 Tech, I am KFD, and this is my car...

Not the prettiest, but this was my first car, a '71 Skylark. This car was my education. My dad bought it in the early nineties with 56K on the clock from a little old lady for $300. My mom drove that car until 1997, when a bearing gave out on the motor. Buick 350s from '69-'72 have a proclivity for spinning bearings at 50K, so we were lucky that motor lasted 75,000 miles.

Here I was fifteen years old, and wanting a musclecar. Well, at least something close to it. So my dad being the P.T. Barnum he is, sold me the Buick, with a blown motor and 25,000 more miles for $300.

I bought a '73 Century for $500, that had a strong longer lasting 350, with a four barrel. There was my first engine swap.

Fast forward to 2000. 18 year old kid, we'll call him me, makes a left handed turn in the rain, trying to be cool guy drifter before the ricer guys caught on to the trend. A malicious curb jumps in my way, and three months and a '69 Chevelle Frame later, I was back in business, harassing the old folks in West Florida Suburbia.

I graduated, and moved back to Hermosa Beach, got into Mopars, went to college, (GO sundevils!!!), had a daughter, got into bikes, and joined the Navy. Before I left Florida, I told the old man not to sell that Buick. So it sat in a chicken coop until I got restationed on the west coast last year....

I also have a little red scooter that has been my daily ride for the past three years:

Now that I am stationed in Hell, Mississippi (I am in Seabees), having a bike for a daily ride isn't very practical anymore, so hence the need for a car. I have a beat down s10, that I bought in october, first thing with four wheels I have owned in five years.

So, back to that funny looking chevelle thing in the first picture. I am long overdue putting that beast back on the road, but unfortunately for me, it has an automatic.

So logic tells you why I am here.

Later on down the road, I want to put a 5.3 in it. I don't want insane horsepower, just modern reliability. In the meantime, I am looking to do a t56 swap in it, so hence why I am here.

I figured I would at least post something, so my post count doesn't show 0 when I pm someone selling a T56.

So that's my story. Have a nice day guys!

Later
KFD

Last edited by kels71gs; 07-18-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Welcome to Tech.
Having your first car still is underrated.
That will be both a great LS swap car as well as a good stick-shift candidate.
Good luck
--Glenn
Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 AM

Hey Glenn, thanks so much! I found this place thanks to Chevelles.com, but yeah, I have had six cars (I think) that have came and went in the time this thing was sitting in a central Florida pole barn. I'll be out in Cali with it week after next, and I'll grab pix of it with my buds '69 Impala, his first car as well!

KFD