General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Maximum Time Front End Up On Ramps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Maximum Time Front End Up On Ramps?

As the title states, this is sort of a random question, but it is quick.

I will be using a buddy's garage to take off my passenger side head for some machine work that needs to be done. The machinist says he needs about a month, because of the amount of people in front of me, to get the job done.

Is there a maximum amount of time that the front end of an FBody should not exceed? As to keep fluids from leaking because they are more towards the rear of the car?

I am not exactly sure if this would start to involve the age of my rear main seal (to keep oil out of my bellhousing and off of my clutch) and my tailshaft seal / output shaft seal (to keep ATF from evacuating the vehicle), but if so, mine are fairly new, less than 20K miles on them for sure.

I thought I should throw this out there before I make the car un driveable.

Thanks for any comments in advance.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't imagine it being that big of a deal. ... Unless someone wants to jump in here and prove me wrong.

.... I'm a bit confused though. To remove your heads you either need to drop the K-Member completely, removing the motor and trans as two joined parts or drop the K-Member just enough to get enough clearance to take out the head bolts. ...Either way, the motor shouldn't need to be at an angle for any of this.

Why are 'ramps' being used? This is a car lift job. Basically, I'm trying to figure out why the motor would even be at an angle in the first place.

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 07-18-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

the rhino ramps are being used so that I can re attach the headers to the y-pipe during the reassembly process.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
I can't imagine it being that big of a deal. ... Unless someone wants to jump in here and prove me wrong.

.... I'm a bit confused though. To remove your heads you either need to drop the K-Member completely, removing the motor and trans as two joined parts or drop the K-Member just enough to get enough clearance to take out the head bolts. ...Either way, the motor shouldn't need to be at an angle for any of this.

Why are 'ramps' being used? This is a car lift job. Basically, I'm trying to figure out why the motor would even be at an angle in the first place.
What are you talking about? I removed my heads just fine without doing any of that stuff.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jdoyle
the rhino ramps are being used so that I can re attach the headers to the y-pipe during the reassembly process.
Oooh, gotcha!... Sorry, I misunderstood.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EDS01SS
What are you talking about? I removed my heads just fine without doing any of that stuff.
Really?! ... How?... I thought it was impossible to get enough clearance for the head bolts to get out without atleast dropping the K atleast 6 inches.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed both heads with the motor in original location, I went in the job with no knowledge it wouldn't work and what you've just said is the first I've heard it won't work... It's been a while, like 2 years since i did it, I think all I did was leave the headbolts in the head while I removed it, a pain but not impossible, your thinking of head studs, in which case you would have to remove the rearmost few before pulling the head, if not you couldn't get it over the studs without hitting the cowl...
Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've taken off my heads a few times n they have plenty of room to clearly come off...

-jack the car up n take headers off
-put car back on ground
-take intake, powersteering off
-take off coils n valve covers off
-remove rocker arms and pushrods
-take out head bolts...lift head off!

It's all kinda really easy, I'd say if you know ur **** it should take 3 hours. Make sure u drain your radaitior. Oh and the head bolts are torq to yield, meaning one time use. You can get them for 30 a side at ws6 store
Old 07-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

For the original question - there's no problem being on ramps a long time. If there was, our cars would come with warnings telling us not to park on hills.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99
For the original question - there's no problem being on ramps a long time. If there was, our cars would come with warnings telling us not to park on hills.
Imagine living in San Fransisco and parallel parking an fbody on a hill everyday. ....lol, that would suck *****!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing you will notice is when most of the crap is out of the way, all the room you have.

PEOPLE who have HEAD STUDS sometimes have issues with clearence but those are also people who remove heads often. I.E. race cars.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine front end was in the air, higher than ramps, for about 10 days just a few weeks ago. Then again for a week when my heads were done. Then another time for a few days.

It doesn't do anything to it.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
Really?! ... How?... I thought it was impossible to get enough clearance for the head bolts to get out without atleast dropping the K atleast 6 inches.
I've never dropped the K

Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got ARP head studs, heads came right off, no problem at all. Did it in the driveway. Heads were off in 2.5 hours.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help fellas.