LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pics of clearenced and welded timing cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pics of clearenced and welded timing cover?

I am going to install the timing cover and need to see were people have clearenced (however you spell it) there timing cover to accept a double roller timing chain. I will also be installing an electric water pump, and would like to see what people have used to plug the top hole where water pump drive was....
Old 07-19-2010, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLWNLT1_T/A
I am going to install the timing cover and need to see were people have clearenced (however you spell it) there timing cover to accept a double roller timing chain. I will also be installing an electric water pump, and would like to see what people have used to plug the top hole where water pump drive was....
i am pretty sure most people just use a freeze plug where the water pump drive was and make sure you use one where the water pump casing is as well where the gear use to go into, that is what I did anyways.

I didn't clearance my timing cover though since I didn't use a double roller.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BLWNLT1_T/A
On the back side of the timing cover where the water pump drive is, there is a small tab that protrudes that needs to be cut off and sanded smooth. As far as the chain itself is concerned, I put some white grease on the chain, temporarily installed the cover, and turned the engine one complete revolution. Wherever there was grease I grinded. I should point out that it was a very trivial amount.

As far as plugging the hole is concerned, I used JB Weld and a quarter. It's more than enough.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
As far as plugging the hole is concerned, I used JB Weld and a quarter. It's more than enough.
yeah, on the timing cover itself I used a quarter and jb weld, works perfectly. used a quarter from the year I was born probably should have used one from when the car was made

Quick Reply: Pics of clearenced and welded timing cover?