Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting Trans Am bumber

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Trans Am bumber

Im wanting to paint the lower portion of my trans am bumper satin black (similar to the berger panel on the camaro but for Trans Am's)

Can i do a quality job with a rattle can? If so what steps should i take prior, during and after. Like which grit sand paper should i prep the surface with? how many layers of paint should i use? do i sand between coats? When im done painting do i need to wet sand? If so which grit?

Anything info you can give me to help me have a quality finish would be appreciated. If it's not possible to get a quality finish with a rattle can then ill just take it to a body shop and have it done that way. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i dont with my tail light panel on my camaro was water sand it, primed it, but about 3 to 4 light coats of paint and since i done mine flat black there was those bumps in the paint so then i water sanded them down lightly then put about 3 coats of flat clear on it then i was done but what your talkin about is the CETA mod and theres thousands of threads on here about that mod next time try the search button up top and itll save you time to where you can get it done faster instead of having to wait for replies but i dont mean to sound like an ******* but someone will eventually chime in and say that so i killed to birds with one stone lol
Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Yes you can. I have seen some amazing paint jobs with the can. It all depends on how much time and effort you put into it. If you have never done it before be prepared to screw up. Don't get disappointed, sand, start over again and learn. Have fun.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

I concur on the rattle can. You can do a good job, it just takes alot more prep work and patience. My center filler is duplicolor universal black and cleared. 2 layers of color, 3 of clear.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies, im optimistic now that i can get a good result with the rattle can, I didn't know that what i wanted to do on my Trans Am bumper was called a CETA mod so that will help when i search the board. I tried the search before but since i didn't know what specifically i was searching for i had little results. Ill search "CETA" and get the information i need from previous posts. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!