LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

abs delete brake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs delete brake question

The sjm kit is installed but now I have no brakes. Im pushing down the master cylinder and fluid is not coming out any of the calipers. I figure there is huge amounts of air in the system but it should of came out by now. Should I just open all the bleeders and take the master cap off and let it gravity bleed untill they all pour out then bleed the system? Thanks and lmk
Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're trying to conventionally bleed the brakes and getting no fluid whatsoever out of the bleeder? How are you bleeding them? If you have no leaks, it shouldn't take more than a few pumps to get fluid out of the bleeder, starting with the right rear first.

Open bleeder, depress brakes fully, close bleeder, release brakes, repeat.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Yep there are no leaks from anywhere as of yet. The system was completely empty with new rear brake calipers and fronts as well. SO I know it will take a bit to fill them but damn, 30 min later and still nothing. PUmping them up and nada
Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have the calipers on the correct side? bleeders facing up?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What do you mean empty? Did the master go dry? If it did you need to bench bleed it first. Then you can gravity bleed one at a time to get te fluid through quickly. At that point you should have a pretty decent pedal and brakes. Then bleed normally and you should be fine. You can skip the gravity bleed but I'm glad I did it this way
Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

this ^^^ bleed the master on the bench
Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

I had to go around and do it a few times b4 I got the pedal back. A mighty vac helps if your doing it alone
Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You're trying to conventionally bleed the brakes and getting no fluid whatsoever out of the bleeder? How are you bleeding them? If you have no leaks, it shouldn't take more than a few pumps to get fluid out of the bleeder, starting with the right rear first.

Open bleeder, depress brakes fully, close bleeder, release brakes, repeat.
you have no idea how many times ive told people this samething on this site.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

okay Im finally off and I tried today to bleed the system a bit and nothing happened. I took the master off off and bench bled it and all the air came out. Then I reinstalled the master and hooked up the lines and tried to bleed at the rears. Nothing came out and I tried the fronts, nothing came out again. Then I opened the rears and let them gravity bleed for a bout 30 min. NOthing came out. I am out of options.

Do I need to keep circling around over and over and try to get air out of all calipers or what? What else can I do? thanks
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow , this makes me not even want to install one of these if there a pita ............
Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jan231986
okay Im finally off and I tried today to bleed the system a bit and nothing happened. I took the master off off and bench bled it and all the air came out. Then I reinstalled the master and hooked up the lines and tried to bleed at the rears. Nothing came out and I tried the fronts, nothing came out again. Then I opened the rears and let them gravity bleed for a bout 30 min. NOthing came out. I am out of options.

Do I need to keep circling around over and over and try to get air out of all calipers or what? What else can I do? thanks
ok, i did the same thing a few times. Here's what I would say, open them all at the same time and let it gravity feed and make sure you keep the master cylinder full. this will go the fastest. Then start closing them off one at a time after you start seeing fluid coming out of each one after a while. at this point you should have a pretty firm pedal.

if not, check your connections and make sure you don't have any leaks. Also, make sure all your bleeders are pointing up on the front calipers.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

exact same thing I thought just stay close and make sure you dont get brake fluid everywhere cuz it will eat up whatever paint u have around it. Close each one and then bleed from right rear inward Should work then
Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SPEEDYTRANSAM1996
Wow , this makes me not even want to install one of these if there a pita ............
Dont blame the parts, blame the people.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

the setup works. I eliminated ABS and my pedal is firmer than ever with this setup. I forgot how many turns out I have on the proportioning valve, but the pedal feels absolutely awesome. When I had the ABS, always felt a little off, couldn't pin point it, just felt a little off. You'll like it once you're done.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

back trace from the calipers up into the system and open a line some where and see if you can get it to gravity bleed to there first.. baby steps i guess

i have always bled brakes with a vacuum pump...i like final bleeding done the old fashioned way, just seems to work best for me..

another trick you can do for the initial bleed is make a plate to put over your master cylinder and put a 1/4 turn valve on it and an air chuck, clamp it on master cylinder with a couple of hose clamps,hook up an air line to it, open valve slightly to apply air pressure, make sure mc is full of fluid, go to rearmost caliper and open it.. check mc constantly until you get fluid coming out of caliper, fill mc with fluid as needed, and dont let mc run out of fluid...

Last edited by brucer; 07-29-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Bleeding Brakes isn't that hard..some of you guys are making it a bigger deal than it is..lol..

I've never bench bled a master..I just put a whole new break system in a car..everything from the master to the calipers. I started with the right rear, bled it, move to left rear, then right front, and finally left front.
Always start with the furthest point away.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Bleeding Brakes isn't that hard..some of you guys are making it a bigger deal than it is..lol..

I've never bench bled a master..I just put a whole new break system in a car..everything from the master to the calipers. I started with the right rear, bled it, move to left rear, then right front, and finally left front.
Always start with the furthest point away.
This is what I said in my first post. Bleeding brakes is not rocket science.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it can be a pain in the a$$ some times also..
Old 07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

^^How so?

I don't agree with the opening of the bleeder on every pedal stroke, I have someone pump it like 10 times and then put it to the floor as I open the bleeder. I do this until no more air bubbles come out. The last car I did the whole thing and it works like a charm..no issues.

Btw, in my last post it shouldve said brakes.. Damn iPhone auto-wordfill..

Quick Reply: abs delete brake question