Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions

I've been reading a bunch of other topics about exhaust. There are so many different options out there for me to keep track of...

First, the basics: 01 SS ... bone stock except for MTI lid and SLP CME. Future goals (within 5 years from now) is to put down 400-450 rwhp.

I'm thinking of running 1 7/8 primary Kook SS headers. What do you guys think? I dont know what else is good in terms of fitment and performance. Hooker Super Comp?

My big question: Is there an exhaust company that makes a true dual exhaust set up for the fbody? I get so much "mixed" info reading all these topics. I read "dual dual" exhaust and "true duals" etc etc ... i just cant keep up. Utlimately, I want something that hooks up to the CME but quiet at idle and "HELLO!" at WOT. Are the true duals quieter than the y pipes? What about clearance?
Old 07-21-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well if your going to h/c it then you might consider 1 7/8, I would go with kooks or american racing for stainless steel.
Texas speed has some 1 7/8 lt's but they are not stainless, but do sell a true dual system that dumps before the rear axle, so you wont have functual CME.

Ebay sells some true dual stainless steel under the axle CME but I wouldnt go with it personally, looks kind of jank where the CME connects to the rest of the exhaust.

TD's dumped before the axle will be loud... not that thats a bad thing.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Everything you asked is pretty much in the stickys. Bassani makes a td system over the axle but it would have to be fabbed for your headers and cme. I was looking at that system myself but could not find a shop to install for me. Also texas speed makes a td dumped system and lpp makes a dumped td. For what ya want its goin to need some fab work to get it to your cme. Td's are usually louder and have more ground clearance issues. My advise is find a shop first that can do it. I assumed that someone around me would do it no problem but that was'nt the case. So I ended up with a magnaflow with a texasspeed ory. I installed myself. Its sounds good when I got my foot in it a bit but lacks the rumble at idle I really wanted to have.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

99Z - thanks for the reply. I read the stickys but it ended up getting a little confusing with mixed information