Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Storing Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Question Storing Tires

I'm not to savvy when it comes to this. I just got some ET Streets and I plan on giving the CCW's a rest for a bit while I roll around on more of some stockish wheels for some fun if you know what I mean.

Well I plan on storing them but i'm worried about them dry rotting outside in the extreme heat. Is it okay to leave them in those type of conditions & should they be placed on something or is it okay for them to be on the concrete?

Just need a little guidance here guys
Old 07-21-2010, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

No one know's???
Old 07-21-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long are you planning on keeping them out? If its not longer than a few weeks or something then you should be fine I would think.

They sell these things that you can place your rims/tires in and it zips up to seal them. Keeps water and **** out. I cant remember where I seen them at but they are pretty expensive last I checked.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
How long are you planning on keeping them out? If its not longer than a few weeks or something then you should be fine I would think.

They sell these things that you can place your rims/tires in and it zips up to seal them. Keeps water and **** out. I cant remember where I seen them at but they are pretty expensive last I checked.
I have no set time frame as of now. I'll check into those storage things your talking about. I think Afterthoughts Auto has them. More than anything I just don't want them to get effed up.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

when i change my wheels for the winter i bring them in the house and store them in a closet.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I too stored my set of CCW's in my closet during the winter from my first f-body (Black 99 ss. I would also put an old sheet over them to keep dust off the wheels. Worked out very well
Old 07-21-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Since I have had to do this on my deployments to the Middle East a few times, and it has worked so far, here is what I do.

They make a UV dry rot preventive spray you can apply to the tires, I got it somewhere and don't recall the exact name, but seems to work pretty good.

Put a good coat of carnuba wax on the wheels, and do not buff it off till your ready to use them.

Keep the wheels out of the direct Sunlight, also do not wrap in plastic as they need to breath, thats where the wheel wraps come in (or old car cover). Store inside if possible.

I also get 2 strong 1/2" steel rod/pipe 36" long, that will pass thru the wheel stud holes, pass that thru a pair of wheels, then raise it up and store the pipe/wheels on 2 tall jack stands and just tall enough to keep the wheels off the ground. then let all the air out of the tires. Cover with a breathable dust cover. This way you should be good to go for least a year.

Hope this helps and works well for you too.

Dub
Old 07-21-2010, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

^^^Hey I really appreciate that. Storing them inside is not a option for me though. Also I don't plan on having them stored but for no longer than a couple weeks at a time.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone else?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

I stacked them on eachother sideways in the back of the garage. Separated them with black garbage bags but didn't put the wheels inside them so they can breath. They were also raised off the concrete by a layer of bricks with a microfiber towel on top so it wont scratch the rims.

Was like that with my old set of rims for almost a year and were perfectly fine when I wanted to use them again. That's probably the easiest in your situation so you don't have to bring them inside. I couldn't do that either.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a couple of weeks? Just set them in the corner with a sheet over them for the dust. done.