Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 into Cadillac BRougham

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 into Cadillac BRougham

I got a 1987 BRougham that wants a 5.3 truck engine in it.
So who makes conversion kit mounts for this application?
S&p?
BRP? Their kit is a bit expensive for me,anything else cheaper?

What do you recommend as mounts? I am a beginner but not afraid to tackle the job.
Also Should I get the regular conversion mounts or the ones that put the engine more forward?
I'd like to keep A/C

I searched but it is a bit hard to find info.
I know on my car I have to look for info for B-body (1991-1996) cars which are similar.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might want to put this in the conversion/hybrid and 5.3L technical sections.

post it up when you get done! Sounds cool!

Old 07-23-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

strait pimp'n in the bro-ham
Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S&P adapter plates, H3 Hummer oil pan, 98'-02' fbody headers will clear without any mods. You will need the kwikperf.com alt bracket to clear the caddy hood which will also save you some money so you dont have to buy a separate accy drive. What trans do you plan on using? I completed my 80' Caprice coupe over a year ago, been driving the snot out of it and enjoying every minute. Lmk if you need further help. Is your brougham sporting the fuel injected 307? If so, then you already have the correct fuel lines, just need to swap the intank pump for an acdelco ep241, and some quick connect fittings from one of the many suppliers.
The following users liked this post:
Prado (05-14-2023)
Old 07-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Launching!

Thank you guys.
Outside I wanna keep it as stock as possible.
Just functional upgrades besides engine and transmission

deuce4935,

thanks for the info.
That is exactly what I need.Info on what parts I need, This is a good start for me. The headers are maybe overkill for me for now.
But eventually I might go there

It is a carbed engine. I think they started in 1989 or 1990 to offer the FI engine. So there is a bit of work there.

By the way the S&P adapter plates are standard ones orthe ones that move the engine forward 1 inch?

As to what transmission this is a good question.
I was planning on using a 4L60E that is mated to the engine. I think the transmission in the car will blow up very soon after having the engine in.

What did you go for in terms of suspension components. I'd like to make it less floaty but not too harsh either. I just bought some used Spohn control arms. After that I'dlike to add some springs and sway bars, front shocks and maybe other shocks in the rear although the ones I have I just installed 1000miles ago.
But if it helps getting rid of the floatiness why not?

The project will probably start this winter and hopefully be finished by next summer.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

I used the standard s&p plates, as for suspension components i ordered the 94-96 impala ss springs and bilstein shocks with all new moog bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends. And Hotchkis makes the best sway bars imo.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Launching!

How is the ride on your car with those springs?

Do they lower much the car? How are roads in your area?
In my area they are really bad so I don't want to lose suspension travel and for that reason I was thinking of keeping it stock height. I'd like to keep it a bit comfortable. I don't want to lose too much comfort in order to make it handle like a Corvette.
Somebody suggested using B4U spings out of a CAprice. I think it is the same spring rate as the Impala SS springs but they sit higher.

Did you go for regular ball joints or did you go with the 5/8" ones?
The front ends seems pretty tight for now. It was well maintained. On the other hand I never rode a brand new car like these to know the feeling of when it was new
Old 07-24-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a sweet conversion, I'd like to do this for my moms car, she has a 91 I believe.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in Chgo and the roads here are shitty. The impala springs will lower the ride height but there are so many to choose from, you will need to take a trip over to impalassforum.com for the various pt#'s. I forgot to mention that i also installed tubular control arms on the front end and im using the 5/8" ball joints. You'd be surprised at how well a car rides with new bushings installed all around. But i chose to go with the GM bushings instead of aftermarket.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Launching!

I checked also on impalassforum.com for some parts
am talking with a guy over there who has some springs for sale.
The tubular arms are nice but they are pricey for me right now. Maybe later. I'll start with the basics and with time upgrade the other parts.

By the way do you have pics of the car?

Quick Reply: 5.3 into Cadillac BRougham