Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Save the Manuals...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save the Manuals...

YouTube- Save the Manuals!

Like me, you may have noticed an alarming paucity of vehicles offering fully manual transmissions. Even sports-car stalwart Ferrari, of gated-shifter fame, isn’t providing a three-pedal option on the new 458 Italia. Equally distressing, I read in the Washington Post that our nation’s hard-texting youth have pronounced driving seriously lame, with only about 30 percent of 16-year-olds having acquired driving licenses as of 2008. I can’t help but think these things are related.

If folks learned to operate the entire car, not just the steering wheel and occasionally the brakes, I’d bet they’d like driving better. If they knew the sense of control imparted by that third pedal, I’d bet they would strive for its mastery. If they knew the excitement that accompanied a perfectly timed heel-toe downshift, I can guarantee they’d be hooked.

You know what we need? We need a crusade. We need to save the manuals! Not only are manual transmissions often more fuel-efficient than their two-pedal counterparts, you also can’t text while operating one. So let’s lobby carmakers to produce more of these things because they’re safer and more frugal, and let’s not tell them that they’re way more fun. Let’s train our offspring in the ancient ways of the stick shift. Let all of us knights of the clutch pedal drive our manual-equipped cars to Washington and pop ’em in front of Barry O’s house.

Won’t you join the cause? —Eddie Alterman
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...car_and_driver

also, join because no one with 3 pedals has ever said: "the car accelerated uncontrollably and i couldnt stop it"
Old 07-22-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

while i do respect the automatic clutch cars or whatever the hell you want to call them with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel, I do think its pretty lame. I like driving my car not pointing it....a paddle shift is one step below an automatic in my opinion.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Pretty funny, false imfortmation tho, shifting and texting is very much possible!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Location: Just because the voices aren't real, doesn't mean they're not right!

I'll get right on it.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

lol
Originally Posted by wrapyourtool
Pretty funny, false imfortmation tho, shifting and texting is very much possible!
x2 not as easy but doable.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Launching!

real race cars have 3 pedals .... for a dd get a toyota =P
Old 07-27-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the nations youth think getting a job so they can afford a car is seriously lame, more so than driving. Its hard to afford stuff when you're so goddamn lazy you can't even get off facebook and go get a job, so they don't have cars. I see this with all the kids in my family.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I think the nations youth think getting a job so they can afford a car is seriously lame, more so than driving. Its hard to afford stuff when you're so goddamn lazy you can't even get off facebook and go get a job, so they don't have cars. I see this with all the kids in my family.
amen!!!! I remember when i turned 13, and in indiana at the time, you could work. I couldnt wait, so i could have the car i wanted when i turned 16.

And i did, I had saved up 7k buy the time i was 16 and bought a 1993 mitsu 3k VR4. RICER, i know, lol and it was a 5 SPD. lol,

i do agree about manual transmissions. But i bought my goat (a4) for the track and going fast in a straight line.

i have the VW which is a 5spd for daily driving.

sorry, end of rant
Old 07-27-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

long live banging gears
Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAX04
amen!!!! I remember when i turned 13, and in indiana at the time, you could work. I couldnt wait, so i could have the car i wanted when i turned 16.

And i did, I had saved up 7k buy the time i was 16 and bought a 1993 mitsu 3k VR4. RICER, i know, lol and it was a 5 SPD. lol,

i do agree about manual transmissions. But i bought my goat (a4) for the track and going fast in a straight line.

i have the VW which is a 5spd for daily driving.

sorry, end of rant
VR4 is a classic touring car, definitely not a ricer. Back when the vette had 275hp it had 320. Amen to banging gears though, it never gets old to me, its just second nature now.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do kids think driving is lame? Im only 20, but as long as I can remember, I couldnt wait for the day I turned 16.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Arc00TA

This opinion is pretty lame considering I bought my first F-body when i was 15 from FL and brought it up north where i live and most of my friends worked hard and bought all there own cars and we cruised and went to shows all the time... Just because the youth in your family and there friends do it, don't think everyone is like that...

Oh by the way that video was great, I was waiting for him to ask for monthly donations like all those commercials on tv.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Having 3 pedals makes driving 10x more fun.

If my car was auto it would be boring as hell. But then again it would be much easir to launch without breaking ****

Quick Reply: Save the Manuals...