Save the Manuals...

Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save the Manuals...

YouTube- Save the Manuals!

Like me, you may have noticed an alarming paucity of vehicles offering fully manual transmissions. Even sports-car stalwart Ferrari, of gated-shifter fame, isn’t providing a three-pedal option on the new 458 Italia. Equally distressing, I read in the Washington Post that our nation’s hard-texting youth have pronounced driving seriously lame, with only about 30 percent of 16-year-olds having acquired driving licenses as of 2008. I can’t help but think these things are related.

If folks learned to operate the entire car, not just the steering wheel and occasionally the brakes, I’d bet they’d like driving better. If they knew the sense of control imparted by that third pedal, I’d bet they would strive for its mastery. If they knew the excitement that accompanied a perfectly timed heel-toe downshift, I can guarantee they’d be hooked.

You know what we need? We need a crusade. We need to save the manuals! Not only are manual transmissions often more fuel-efficient than their two-pedal counterparts, you also can’t text while operating one. So let’s lobby carmakers to produce more of these things because they’re safer and more frugal, and let’s not tell them that they’re way more fun. Let’s train our offspring in the ancient ways of the stick shift. Let all of us knights of the clutch pedal drive our manual-equipped cars to Washington and pop ’em in front of Barry O’s house.

Won’t you join the cause? —Eddie Alterman
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...car_and_driver

also, join because no one with 3 pedals has ever said: "the car accelerated uncontrollably and i couldnt stop it"
Old 07-22-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol that was pretty funny.

I joined!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that new drivers should drive a big truck with a manual tranny pulling a trailer. Then lets see how many of them pull out in front of you and then stop. Friggin idiots. Did I mention it happened to me. Whacked the back of the guys truck, got the side of my new 48' Haulmark enclosed and the kid took off. Guess he was scared.

Search this Thread