LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel issues

Okay guys i didn't look it up to see if anyone else had the problem but here it is i rarely drive my car especially since i had no exhaust on it well i got it fixed took it out and it ran out of gas while driving (gauge is broken i have got it fixed now ) anyway since it ran out of gas its been running like crappppppp has anyone had this problem I know tue obvious things it coulda sucked up sediment or w/e and I changed fuel filter but it starts and runs just like **** almost like its not getting enuff fuel to motor so it has no pick up .... any input is great should i go out and change injectors and such or run it see if it will clear itself before going to buying and installing new stuff
Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Running the car out of fuel is bad. Not only can you clog the fuel pump sock, but when the pump is not submerged in fuel it can overheat, which can be the death blow for a 15 year old pump. Get a fuel pressure test gauge and see what your fuel pressure is with KOEO, while cranking, at idle, etc.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

okay so the problem has moved on i am going to take it to a shop and get it looked at cause ill sit at idle and it sounds like the car is camming but i got no cam lol guy told me it could be a bunch of different stuff like... fpr... fuel pump lines injectors
Old 07-28-2010, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

oh and to you ram air would the car start and stay running if the pump was dead? or would it go out completely ?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Launching!

if pump was dead it would no longer run.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

yeah i was told that when i went to the shop and i talked to owner of the shop he said if pump was dead car would be dead so its gotta be something else i got no check engine light or anything which would suggest spark or misfire right ?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Fuel pump bud. Trap door it and do it yourself..
Old 07-28-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have had several bad fuel pumps and have seen them do some weird ****. i had a bad pump in my 85 corvette the car would start and idle fine but soon as you hit the gas it stalled. c4 corvette has to have the easiest pump to change.

ramair is most likely right you probably over heated it toasted it.

as far as sucking stuff up off the bottom of the tank i guess it could happen but i think its the biggest crock of crap. im sorry your constantly sucking crap up in the tank that's why you have 2 filters. the fuel is the tank is constantly churning when hitting bumps,pot whole, going around turns braking and accelerating and no sentiment is going to sit right on the bottom when that happening.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam95Maro
oh and to you ram air would the car start and stay running if the pump was dead? or would it go out completely ?
It can do both. Sometimes the pump is weak but can eventually provide enough pressure to keep the engine running. Not saying this is the case, but it's possible.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It can do both. Sometimes the pump is weak but can eventually provide enough pressure to keep the engine running. Not saying this is the case, but it's possible.
Yep absolutly right, I've seen them do screwed up things like that. LIke you said the death blow is not only the heat but also when they suck air it can kill them immediatly espically if there old and beat up in the the first place. I agree with Merv^ chop the trap door and do it urself.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Yeah well it was doing that idling okay but when I take off it was bogging out but when i was oto shop yesterday sitting at idle my car was like rumbling about to die so maybe idk
Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i disagree with the trap door.

its not all that hard to drop the axle and while its out its a great time to change the fluids and paint the axle and replace the seals. it took me one day to do the whole job.