Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$$ no issue-best tuner in TX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default $$ no issue-best tuner in TX?

I have seen a lot of dyno tunes around Tx and most were done w/ a wide band O2 sensor (placed in tailpipe). This last weekend in Houston I went with my friend to a local tuner after a cam only install and he tuned it using a dyno/Autotap. There was no air/fuel graph. HOW CAN SOMEONE TUNE A CAR W/O AIR/FUEL RATIOS, CORRECTLY?
Old 01-20-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Red face

I was always told you need the wide bank O2 to get accurate measurements.

BowlingSS
Old 01-20-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Magred2001vette
HOW CAN SOMEONE TUNE A CAR W/O AIR/FUEL RATIOS, CORRECTLY?
They CAN'T tune without an accurate AFR. The tune is only as good as the accuracy of the AFR.

Godspeed at LGM is where I'd put my $$$$$$$$$$.

joel
Old 01-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Launching!

HOW CAN SOMEONE TUNE A CAR W/O AIR/FUEL RATIOS, CORRECTLY?
Simply put- can't be done correctly.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

But it can get damn close if the guy knows what he's doing. By close, I mean to within 5-8 horsepower on a heads/cam car. Closer on lighter mod cars. Blower or nitrous tunes, well, I wouldn't do those without a WB. It may not be "dead on", but it can be very close - to the point where it may not be cost effective to do a wideband tune.

Just my $.02,

Andrew
Old 01-20-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

you guys are funny, on GB you can get a wideband LM-1 with rpm pickup for $400 shipped (look around the various forums for innovative). Spend all that money on parts/edit and not get a couple buddies to kick in for a portable wideband?

Your car will always wideband out differently at 100mph than on a dyno. Probably why folks dyno wot tune a little rich.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen a lot of dyno tunes around Tx and most were done w/ a wide band O2 sensor (placed in tailpipe). This last weekend in Houston I went with my friend to a local tuner after a cam only install and he tuned it using a dyno/Autotap. There was no air/fuel graph. HOW CAN SOMEONE TUNE A CAR W/O AIR/FUEL RATIOS, CORRECTLY?

they keep going richer or leaner until it loses power then they know where it needs to be
Old 01-20-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Were they using a Tech II?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by samz28
you guys are funny, on GB you can get a wideband LM-1 with rpm pickup for $400 shipped (look around the various forums for innovative). Spend all that money on parts/edit and not get a couple buddies to kick in for a portable wideband?
I'm not knocking widebands...

See this interior pic of my car? What's that on my seat?

-Andrew
Attached Thumbnails $$ no issue-best tuner in TX?-98zpside.jpg  
Old 01-21-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by samz28

Your car will always wideband out differently at 100mph than on a dyno. Probably why folks dyno wot tune a little rich.
Where can I buy one? I want one.

BowlingSS
Old 01-21-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
Where can I buy one? I want one.

BowlingSS
Here you go Innovate .
Old 01-21-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I'm not knocking widebands...

See this interior pic of my car? What's that on my seat?

-Andrew

Andrew -I have the FJO setup. Are you happy with this setup (innovate)? I was thinking about getting this to stick in my other bung and compare and read both banks.

ChrisB had said that this setup..Innovate lm-1, could be used with the stock sensor wiring and input to the PCM. Then I could read it in EFILIVE. Anyone know how I would go about this?? TIA.

joel
Old 01-21-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Honestly, I've got it hooked up, working (taking AFR readings), but I'm not using it yet. I just got the car back on the road tonight. I hadn't used the Wideband yet in those pictures. I do have the RPM cable, and brought a wire in from the tach lead.

I have to install the software on my laptop, and play around with data logging. That's what I'm really excited about - being able to monitor RPM and AFR at the same time.

Now, with what ChrisB is talking about... Dang, I remember reading how to do what he's talking about, but I don't remember exactly what. I plan to use them simultaneously as separate systems (EFILive v6 and the Wideband with RPM cable).

I bought one of the original DIY-EFI WB kits, but never got it running. This Innovate unit blows it away. Wow. Easy to set up, and very professional, at a price that's tough to beat. Especially with how inexpensive the sensors are. I am happy I bought it. Now it's just a matter of making the time to use it.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 01-21-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Honestly, I've got it hooked up, working (taking AFR readings), but I'm not using it yet. I just got the car back on the road tonight. I hadn't used the Wideband yet in those pictures. I do have the RPM cable, and brought a wire in from the tach lead.

I have to install the software on my laptop, and play around with data logging. That's what I'm really excited about - being able to monitor RPM and AFR at the same time.

Now, with what ChrisB is talking about... Dang, I remember reading how to do what he's talking about, but I don't remember exactly what. I plan to use them simultaneously as separate systems (EFILive v6 and the Wideband with RPM cable).

I bought one of the original DIY-EFI WB kits, but never got it running. This Innovate unit blows it away. Wow. Easy to set up, and very professional, at a price that's tough to beat. Especially with how inexpensive the sensors are. I am happy I bought it. Now it's just a matter of making the time to use it.

Cheers,

Andrew
The hard part for me is correlating the data from the wideband and EFILIVE. The FJO reports at 20 frames/sec and EFILIVE at 10/sec. It would be nice to have them synched for catching the data reported during transients. Let us know how it works for you. Good Luck.
joel
Old 01-22-2004, 02:53 AM
TECH Addict

Chris was saying you hook program a output on the innovate for 0-1v linear and hook it up to a rear o2 input so you can log it with efilive.

I'm going to do this when I get my car back on the road, in about two weeks.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 66ImpalaLT1
Chris was saying you hook program a output on the innovate for 0-1v linear and hook it up to a rear o2 input so you can log it with efilive.

I'm going to do this when I get my car back on the road, in about two weeks.
Here is ChrisB's Answer :
Couple of options

1) There is a serial output on the LM-1 already enabled. The specs aren't public domain, but Klaus has released them to people that asked. It would be trivial to log this and display the data.

2) The LM-1 itself has 44minutes of internal memory (that can include other data sources to, such as rpm, etc.) - you wouldn't get real time display on the pcm, but you could download it to the pcm after the fact and view it.

3) The LM-1 has a programmable analog (voltage) output - you could
a) Purchase an external a/d converter box (Dataq has one with a api for ~25 bucks)
b) Run this signal into a sensor not being used (rear o2) and log this value directly with your scan tool (essentially using a spare input on the pcm as an a/d converter)

(3)(b) is the only option currently available that will do what you desire, though there is talk of efilive allowing the integration of timestamped data from another source natively.

FWIW. joel