View Full Version : MGW shifter rattle fix?

Martin HD-28
07-24-2010, 11:56 AM
I had a B&M Ripper that rattled pretty bad so since I wanted a shorter shifter, I bought an MGW to replace it. Needless to say, it rattles pretty bad also. I know it's just where the ball jumps around in the cup so does anyone have ideas on how to get rid of the rattle? I think maybe I could wrap the ball in rubber heat tape to keep the noise down? Whatcha think?

LT1/TA
07-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Does it rattle in neutral and when driving down the road especially in 5th and 6th?Mine was doing this for a while and the needle bearing for the reverse gear fell apart and tore up a lot of stuff.

Martin HD-28
07-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Not at all, only in high RPM's.....every gear.

Intimidator02SS
07-25-2010, 08:00 AM
My shifter did that, and I swapped shifters for over 3 times trying to cure the noise. It ended up being in the shifter ball. I took the nut off that locks the shifter ball in a certain position, screwed the ball back on, and the noise was gone. I lucked out, because the ball got tight right where it needed to. Noise has been gone for a year and counting.

Martin HD-28
07-25-2010, 03:54 PM
I took the tightening nut off of my shifter ball and the rattle is gone!!!!

Intimidator02SS
07-25-2010, 07:26 PM
I didn't understand it either in my scenario - but I friggin worked, and to this day I still don't have that adjusting nut. Glad that was your problem.. and I'm glad I wasn't the only one that has ever heard of this problem.....

spdygon
07-25-2010, 08:57 PM
the bottom of the shifter where the ball is, it should have a plastic cup on it.
that is what keeps the metal from shifter and bottom piece apart.
the shifter and bottom piece should not be metal to metal.

CamanLS1
11-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Does this work on the B&M shifter too? Mine ratlles like a bitch at higher RPMS also.