Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New! From in MD. swapping an LS motor into a 350Z.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New! From in MD. swapping an LS motor into a 350Z.

Hi, my name is Kiely (just like the girl's name) and I currently drive a 1993 nissan skyline with a 1J VVTI swap. I compete in "pro-am" drift comps up and down the east coast and am moving up to ... I hate to say it formula D next year.

I have just traded the R32 for an 04 350Z. The series I compete is is now being taken over by LS cars, sooo...I better jump on the wagon before the $ goes up any more.

The plan is to do a truck 6.0 with car (eventually fast or similar) intake, T56, cam, swap headers ( think they area equal length and long tube with small primaries), etc to get started. I will be piecing together a 6.0 aluminum motor while driving/working the bugs out of the setup. I want to have it running and driftable for the last part of this season and really have it "figured out" by start of next season.

I will get some pics going in here this evening.

Oh, about me. Late 20s random white dude, I live North of Baltimore MD, I'm a buyer for a wholesale car co. based out of SC, I am originally from SC, I work on a car that competes against big $$ cars in parking garages on my back..., my lady is tired of this crap, I'm hoping for some sponsors in the coming year.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Welcome to the site. There's a thread a few spots down from this one where a guy already has a 6.0 swap done on a 350Z.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Haha, just got back from checking that out!

I live only a few miles from "sikky mfg." and plan to use the same stuff he did on my swap.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Welcome and good luck with your swap. Be sure to keep us up on your progess. Be sure to post some Vids of you drifting when you can.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Well folks, my plans changed a little...

The deal where I was trading my Skyline for the 350Z fell through temporarily so in a fit of despair or anger or something....I added up what I thought a decent LS swap would cost in my car. The fellow called back the next day to say the deal was back on but it was too late. I was (and still am) dead set on the swap into my car.

I sold my motor set (everryyythiinngg) that weekend at the track and started piling up parts. Got about $3500 for the 1J swap.

This has been TOUGH. I have done many nissan car swaps, SRs, RBs, 1-2Js, and a few BMW/toyota swaps, but this swap is kindof a bitch, lol. I am sure it will be worth it.

I started by going out and buying a 1999 "full swap" out of a wrecked TA with 60k on it. I felt like I got an OK deal this day in age at $3100 picked up 20 miles from my house.

I then purchased Daft headers that are SUPPOSED to clear RHD...but only time will tell. ($700 shippd).

I bought a mini starter from summit to make some attempt at clearing the rack on this thing. ($300)

Next, I started the GTO oil pan sourcing from HELL. I was trying to be cheap so I bought an oil pan "without pickup" from a lady in texas for $165 shipped. It turned out to be a bare pan with no cross over, no windage, no pickup, and no baffle plate... I bought most of that stuff from GM for $70 only to find out they will not sell the baffle plate seperate.. I then found a pan locally that was missing only the pickup (sweet, I have a new one..) for $200 only to find out on closer inspection AT HOME there is a giant crack in it that I have to have welded up.

I had already bought an intake manifold/rail/injectors/TB before any of this trade business happened. I bought it knowing nothing about LSs but apparently I made a sweet buy. It is a non EGR intake so it is in fact an LS6 intake, right? It was said to have come off of a 2002 camaro. That means 28lb injectors aswell, right? ...A sweet $200 score I think.

The rest has been nickle and dime and more dime and more dime.

$200 or so on clutch lines and stuff.

$100 on PS line.

Trans-dapt universal mounts (hope I can work something up out of these) $110

Nissan pathfinder clutch MC (Hope this clears the damn head and moves enough fluid...) $40.

GM Slave. $90

Got a sweet deal on an SLP cam. With the cam, oil pump, and springs, I should have around $500 in valve train and oiling. (cam is a lil guy in the high 220s with a 112 LSA)

All that seems to be left now is to find a REALLY light flywheel/clutch for, well,....cheap, and get my yoke hacked off my drive shaft and the T56 one welded on in the right spot/balanced.

....oh, and struggle for a couple of weeks putting it all together.

Exhaust plans after the long tubes will be a simple 3" to 4" Y section with 4" to the back through a magnaflow or similar race muffler. I drive it on the street a decent amount, but police around here do not seem to mind loud cars as long as they are not the typical definition of rice.

If yall see any discrepancies, lemme know folks! Thanks for looking.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you from the white marsh, middle river area? i've seen a black skyline pass by white marsh volunteer fire alot right on ebenezer rd.

matt
Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Teching In

That is probably me you are seeing.

I date a girl over on Honeygo and I fly RC over on Bird river road. For some reason I cannot remember which road is ebeneezer, but I'm sure I am there often.

Looks pretty bad in person, but you cannot tell how haggard it really is in pics, lol.

Still struggling with details. Wait4me performance is a lil hard to get ahold of. Anyone know a cheap mail order tuner to just get the basics handled? The only odd part is a small cam and I'm running a 99 ECU with 02 intake mani/injectors.

Also having to do the clutch MC thing over because the nissan unit apparently will not move enough fluid for the LS clutch...
Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Teching In

No pictures (car looks the same as before) but an update of sorts.

First off, LS swaps into this body with manual trans is HELL! I figured it would be about the same as putting an LS into a 240sx (all the other motors I have run in it were similar to swapping into 240). It was nothing like doing this to a 240! The right hand drive made it a real pain. After all of the different swaps I have done, this was the first one that I almost gave up on.

Next, I got this thing in and running. Drove it for two days and let all my "mechanic" friends listen to what I thought might be a little bit of lower end noise...everyone assured me it was fine. I went to the track only to make 2 runs and spit a rod plus some other stuff out the right side of the block. No warning, just a very abrupt boom. Oil pressure and temp were good and it even had some oil pressure spinnin down after it popped.

Theeen, I planned to swap the 5.7 for a truck 5.3, stick my cam in it (if it was still any good), and get it back together for the end of the season. A little luck finally befell me.. I found a LQ4 in an 05 van "burn vehicle" for $450. It smelled horrible but none of the outside rubber melted, sensors, etc still looked ok, and only a lil spot on the intake caved in. I cleaned up some burrs in my cam, stuck my cam, springs, and new valve seals/rear main seal into the 6.0 and back together it went.... and boy did it go. lol.

No problems so far out of the 6.0 with all my 5.7 accessories on it and I'm on my 3rd event. The last event was 2 days and I probably did 100+ runs. It feels about the same as the 5.7 but it stays MUCH cooler...wonder why? Takes iron longer to warm up? Who cares, I'm happy for now, and the car is MUCH more suited to what I do.

Who wants to take bets as to how long the LQ is gonna last at 6800 rpms?

Also, what wheel hp and torque figures should a LQ4 with a 230s ish cam .57 lift 112 lsa, LS6 manifold, 1 7/8" long tube headers, stock 28lb inj, a "safe" tune, and a straight 4" single exhaust make? I think 400 wheel is possible but all my friends seem to think my imagination is gettin the best of me. Either way, it feels great...and very...um...snappy. I love the "violent" feel of the way power comes on with a medium cam and a "light" car. (2850lbs)
Old 01-19-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Regular

What heads are you going with stock 317's? You should be over 400 probably more in the 420's depending on your heads but for a safe tune you wont be able to rev at 6800. Your duty cycle is going to be maxed out with that small of an injector. I also think you have 26lb injectors I think the 98s were the only ones 28s
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Yes, stock 317s never off the block.

Thats good to know!

I guess all I can really do now for a while is bigger TB and MAF. I wanted to do different heads or mill mine to make up for the sub 10:1 compression but I guess that can wait till next year if I am nearing the max for these inectors.

The inj are the 28lb ones that came on my LS6 intake manifold. I dont remember exactly what year/other stuff combo had them now but it was certain years of camaro/fire bird 5.7s.

...what size injectors did I throw away on the truck manifold? They wernt burnt, I feel bad now thinking back. Truck 6.0s get 26s?

Ps. Not a for sale ad, but if anyone wants my truck pan complete, my camaro pan complete, a new but BARE GTO pan, a manual camaro trans K member, or the stock rockers from my 5.7, just PM me, I will let it all go for REALLY cheap... It just sits here in a plastic bin in my apt.

Quick Reply: New! From in MD. swapping an LS motor into a 350Z.