Comcast to U-Verse

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Comcast to U-Verse

I live in the Houston area and am currently considering switching cable providers from Comcast to U-Verse, any thoughts, experiences, and opinions are both welcome and appreciated.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Absolultly love my u-verse.............
Old 07-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Teching In

That seems to be the general consensus… It’s not so much that I have had a problem with Comcast, it’s more so that I keep hearing great things about U-Verse.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

i love my uverse when it works.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I saved a ton of money going from Comcast to U-verse a few years ago. I loved the DVR services, the multi-room streaming, and the channel selection was good, overall. My problems with U-Verse were frequent signal lockups. It got to a point where we stopped having friends and family over to watch games on TV because it was embarrassing to have the signal lockup all the time.

I kept AT&T for internet, but switched to Dish for TV. So far, no problems.

-Mike
Old 07-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1sickz28
i love my uverse when it works.
How often is it down, and how has their customer service been in regards to helping you to resolve the issue?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Teching In

I appreciate the info so far fellas, keep it coming. Has anyone else had issues with their signal locking up? If so, was it something that was able to be resolved?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:44 PM
9 Second Club

I had U-verse for a year at my old apartment. I loved it, never had any problems. Now I have Directv and it is terrible...
Old 07-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by GPG 02
How often is it down, and how has their customer service been in regards to helping you to resolve the issue?
Well for the 1st 6 months they give you a sick deal, however if you ever have an outage, or just try to call in general with questions they have terriable customer service alot of the time. Like most major companies they have outsourced reps who couldnt be more useless LOL.

If you do get the service, make sure you keep the phone numbers handy becuz it isnt easily found on there online site.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1sickz28
Well for the 1st 6 months they give you a sick deal, however if you ever have an outage, or just try to call in general with questions they have terriable customer service alot of the time. Like most major companies they have outsourced reps who couldnt be more useless LOL.

If you do get the service, make sure you keep the phone numbers handy becuz it isnt easily found on there online site.
1sickz28 I appreciate the info bro.
If anyone has any other experiences, good or bad, please post them.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Teching In

I had u-verse last year and we too enjoyed it when it worked. The problem was that my house was located a little too far from where the signal came in. It took four technicians to finally realize it. I switched to Dish and have loved every minute of it. Two weeks ago my son did something to the receiver and Dish came out on the same day. Their customer service is way better than anything I ever got at ATT.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

i work for comcast and yall can dog them all you want about there shitty service but let me tell you its not comcasts fault that there shitty or you have shitty service they have no control over that the only person that does is the one that instals it its juts like any other providers installers no one is perfect but if you have someone that knows what he is doing you will never have a problem if its instaled right
Old 07-24-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I work for *** Communications as a field service tech and I can honestly say with your choice that U-Verse is the better direction. Make sure your within 1000' feet of a fiber node if you want the best service since the signal will degrade faster over distance on twisted pair whereas with cable it wont. The service is EXTREMELY fast, I will give them that and their program guide is simply amazing compared to all of the rest.

Ups:
Fast reacting equipment
The in home "node" serves as an internet modem/wireless router/tv tuner (IPTV)

Downs:
Any room for service requires a set-top box whereas cable can be directly hooked up
Old 07-24-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U verse gets my vote. Never had a problem with signal or it locking up. Sounds like an isolated problem. To the people that switched to dish from u verse. Wait till you get a hard, I mean hard storm and you have no satellite signal. Make you wanna go back to u verse. The price and service is the best that I have found.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1QWK408
i work for comcast and yall can dog them all you want about there shitty service but let me tell you its not comcasts fault that there shitty or you have shitty service they have no control over that the only person that does is the one that instals it its juts like any other providers installers no one is perfect but if you have someone that knows what he is doing you will never have a problem if its instaled right
I didn’t make any disparaging remarks about Comcast, and unless I missed something neither has anyone else. Like I said earlier… it’s not that I have had any problem with Comcast, it’s more so that I keep hearing great things about U-Verse, and I was curious to see what people had to say about their experience with U-Verse. I also hoped to hear from people who had personal experience with both cable providers, and could compare/contrast the two.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in, ya’ll definitely gave me some things to look into / consider. If anyone has any other pros, cons, or suggestions please post them.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Uverse has worked for me, no complaints... once it was reinstalled because the original installer used coaxial instead of cat5 cable.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

If anyone has an isse with uverse here is the best number to call. 18773770414. It takes you to a live representative vs the whole automated system.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

We have had Uverse almost from day one that it hit Houston. We have had only two problems with it and both times it was the router/modem. Both times it went out right after big lightining storm.

Being able to watch recoreded movies from any room is great. A trick to be able to pause and rewind on one of the satilite boxes is to recored what you are watching and then watch the recording then you can pause/rewind it if you want.

I would really recomend that you run cat5 for all the locations you want to place a box. Cat5 works much better then coax.

the last time the router went out was just last week. I was able to go online on my phone and it ran a test and if it finds a problem it will let you set a service call right ther onlin. They were in the house the next morning and replaced the box.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been thinking about switching from Comcast to U-Verse, but I can't get over how the movies look. The picture is clear as all hell, but it looks weird when watching movies...like the movies were shot with an HD video camera rather than film. The camera pans are strange too.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

i have uverse and love it, had a party last fall and didn't realize the game was on a channel I didn't get, called up and they had the channel on in 10 minutes and for free for 3 months and then I paid for it afterward.

Also, saw an email special for 3 movie channels for 10 bucks, called up and started talking, they ended up giving me 15 movie channels and free HD for 15 dollars lOL so needless to say I love it

It never goes out on me and I never have an issue and have had it for 10 months so far.

Quick Reply: Comcast to U-Verse