Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Assembly lube substitute

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Assembly lube substitute

I’m planning on rebuilding the T56 in the near future but couldn’t get the assembly lube for it where I live. What is an acceptable substitute? I can get high temperature SKF bearing grease or heavy gear oil.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sssalah
I’m planning on rebuilding the T56 in the near future but couldn’t get the assembly lube for it where I live. What is an acceptable substitute? I can get high temperature SKF bearing grease or heavy gear oil.
If you can't get Transmission Assembly lube, just put a good coating of ATF on everything as you assemble. You don't want to use any other types of grease, as it can degrade the performance of the friction/blocker rings. The Trans lube will dissolve into the ATF and not hurt the blockers.

If you're not going to use the transmission soon after rebuilding, you might want to fill it with ATF and spin it by hand every week or so. Take it extra easy during the breakin period, especially in 5/6/R that don't get alot of lube during breakin. You might want to also look for a viscous ATF additive in your country. The thicker the better since you want to have it retained on the bearings,etc. Plan on draining the breakin fluid soon after the ~800Km breakin driving.

Quick Reply: Assembly lube substitute