Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new trans, new problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new trans, new problem

ok, i have the car back form the shop and she drives great. new torque converter and gearbox. now when i go into 4th gear i have this odd shudder like the car wants to stall out, its not slipping, it just has this wierd vibration to it like it wants to stall out the motor. any opinion? im clueless..
Old 01-20-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

surely somebody knows something?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Shuddering does not sound good, I think I would check the fluid for metal parts.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got off the phone with the trans shop, the mech that worked on my car said that the converter that was installed has a higher stall or something, but its shifting into 4th to soon and the engine revs at to low of an rpm that it canhold the car in high gear. sorta like pulling out in 6 gear in a m6, no torque to pull the car cause the gear is so high. im going to tune with an htt3 and see if i can mess with it.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well right around 40mph it will shift into 4th and the coverter will lock. Under light throttle the rpms will fall to like 1200. As for too big of a converter. It wouldnt matter if it was a 4600stall it shouldnt do it. One of two things here. You car is missing-High load low rpm is where a miss first shows up. Or you can drop the starter,unbolt the converter and rotate the bolt hole one forward or back.That works sometimes. Is the car lunging like is missing or how does it feel?