General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

drive shaft on backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive shaft on backwards?

What if I'm trying to figure out why my car vibrates and I'm trying to eliminate all possibilities and at one point a less knowledgeable me took the drive shaft off several times without noting its orientation. How could I figure out what the correct orientation is supposed to be? I know I’m an idiot but when I bought the car several years ago with a blown tranny I quickly yanked it out for repair and did not mark it.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try bolting it in the yoke opposite of what it is now, and see if anything changes. its a 50/50 shot. Also, when did the vibration start? did you add any mods when it started?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

It seems to be the classic case of shaking over 60mph. My motor mounts which I changed recently were so bad that when I drilled the last rivet from the clamshell, they fell apart and the mount rolled out. Neither side was bonded to the shell on either side. I'm changing out everything I can get my hands on. One issue is most likely my front rotors (baer earlspeed 14inch) When I bought the car the owner had just installed these but for whatever reason they were contacting the lower a arm on the back of the rotor leaving a good groove all the way around. When braking at higher speeds there is a strange sound/vibration that progressively gets worse and worse the longer you hold the brakes. (I believe they start to warp more and more as they heat up) Thats probably the problem while braking but just driving there is a definite shake throughout the whole car more noticeable in the seat that the wheel.

Although I have not yet finished installing some other suspect parts (u joints) the mounts probably contributed some but I have not taken it for a spin to verify.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes, the pinion on the rear end is weighted. It may be balanced on its own so it may not matter how the ds is installed. I have taken mine out a ton of times and never had vibration. I have done the same to other driveshafts and they vibrated till I remounted them. So it is a possibilty. DS vibration does not come through the steering wheel. It vibrates the whole car. Do you feel the vibes in the steering wheel?

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 07-26-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

not really...when its really bad its about the only thing that's not shaking terribly
Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

well, that does sound like drivetrain vibration.

Quick Reply: drive shaft on backwards?