Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

block in car - fly cutting

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default block in car - fly cutting

Is it possible using the lindy / isky type cutters? I have read somewhere that it can be done. I know 90% of the people have done them on the engine stand. Im trying to avoid pulling the whole motor if i can. Doing a head cam swap, ported 241's 2.05I 1.60E and a trex in a 4th gen fbody. I know i will have ptv clearance issues. If i can get it done with the block in car, it would save me a ton of time! Anyone have experience? Thanks
Old 07-25-2010, 03:26 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AW794
Is it possible using the lindy / isky type cutters? I have read somewhere that it can be done. I know 90% of the people have done them on the engine stand. Im trying to avoid pulling the whole motor if i can. Doing a head cam swap, ported 241's 2.05I 1.60E and a trex in a 4th gen fbody. I know i will have ptv clearance issues. If i can get it done with the block in car, it would save me a ton of time! Anyone have experience? Thanks
Yes you can with a right angle drill. I own those tools myself, and have done it several times in a F-body. It sucks, but once you get the hang of it, it will go faster for you. Use an old LS1 head if you can, so you don't tear up yours.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JPH
Yes you can with a right angle drill. I own those tools myself, and have done it several times in a F-body. It sucks, but once you get the hang of it, it will go faster for you. Use an old LS1 head if you can, so you don't tear up yours.
That is great news! I really didnt want to pull the block! Any specific right angle drill better than another for better clearance?

I was planning on using the stock heads to flycut. That way nothing can happen to my ported set.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a good write up. Its not an fbody but you get the idea of what your in for.https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ngine-car.html
Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the link.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:13 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AW794
That is great news! I really didnt want to pull the block! Any specific right angle drill better than another for better clearance?

I was planning on using the stock heads to flycut. That way nothing can happen to my ported set.
It's a milwakuee drill. And yes, use your stock heads. If you have any questions on it or how to do it, feel free to ask or pm me.

Thanks, Joe
Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drill? I turn it by hand/wrench and takes 20 seconds at most.We took a stock head,knocked out the valve seats,measured it all out and welded the stop and a nut on the end.That way it won't over cut a piston.They are set at .080" cut's.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a head that I had one cylinder cut off of and use the 1 cylinder part. Once cutting depth is set, you can do every cylinder with the same intake or exhaust cutter and never have to change it. You just move the 1 cylinder head from cylinder to cylinder all the way around. Changing the cutter to each cylinder on a complete head and resetting depth seemed time consuming to me.

I use a cheap close quarters drill from Harbor Freight. It was like 20 or 30 bucks.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:43 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Drill? I turn it by hand/wrench and takes 20 seconds at most.We took a stock head,knocked out the valve seats,measured it all out and welded the stop and a nut on the end.That way it won't over cut a piston.They are set at .080" cut's.
Even with my engine out of the car I plan on using a tap wrench. I think there'll be less potential issues. I've never done this before and want to keep it simple. I'm planning on using the heads that will be going on my engine. I am waiting on my valves to get here, but I am kind of doing as such:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ee-almost.html

The only difference is I am threading the 8mm valve stem to 1/4 inch and using a lock nut to set the cut depth. That way I can vary my cut depth for reusability on different setups without having to hunt around for objects of the appropriate size to act as a stop. My heads have 2.055 valves and I'm using a 2.100 valve with a 40 grit sanding disk to have adequate radial clearance.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Regular

Im planning on doing it this weekend. A member of another forum just flycut his pistons and is going to let me borrow the tools. Im trying to take pics and document as i go, but its hard to remember to stop. Plus idk if anyone is really that interested LOL.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Even with my engine out of the car I plan on using a tap wrench. I think there'll be less potential issues. I've never done this before and want to keep it simple. I'm planning on using the heads that will be going on my engine. I am waiting on my valves to get here, but I am kind of doing as such:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ee-almost.html

The only difference is I am threading the 8mm valve stem to 1/4 inch and using a lock nut to set the cut depth. That way I can vary my cut depth for reusability on different setups without having to hunt around for objects of the appropriate size to act as a stop. My heads have 2.055 valves and I'm using a 2.100 valve with a 40 grit sanding disk to have adequate radial clearance.

that is what paint it black tried first then he rented my Lindy tools...just alot easier and less hassle and gives alot more consistent results...my Lindy tool measures 2.10 intake with a radiused edge and exhaust measures 1.66...

and I couldn't imagine not using a powered drill, it would take forever

Chris
Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by chrs1313
that is what paint it black tried first then he rented my Lindy tools...just alot easier and less hassle and gives alot more consistent results...my Lindy tool measures 2.10 intake with a radiused edge and exhaust measures 1.66...

and I couldn't imagine not using a powered drill, it would take forever

Chris
The difference is I have $35 in the whole thing including an extra $12 valve. I am only doing the intake side, but if I was doing the exhaust as well the cost would be the same as it is now. I don't mind it taking a little longer for spending barely any money of the thing. My engine is also sitting on a pallet so that's another added advantage.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
The difference is I have $35 in the whole thing including an extra $12 valve. I am only doing the intake side, but if I was doing the exhaust as well the cost would be the same as it is now. I don't mind it taking a little longer for spending barely any money of the thing. My engine is also sitting on a pallet so that's another added advantage.
yeah that's not bad total price but a Lindy tool will save you time and is only a couple more bucks to rent from a member or sponsor on here for alot more consistent results...

good luck though, just trying to save you some trouble
Old 07-29-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
I use a head that I had one cylinder cut off of and use the 1 cylinder part. Once cutting depth is set, you can do every cylinder with the same intake or exhaust cutter and never have to change it. You just move the 1 cylinder head from cylinder to cylinder all the way around. Changing the cutter to each cylinder on a complete head and resetting depth seemed time consuming to me.

I use a cheap close quarters drill from Harbor Freight. It was like 20 or 30 bucks.
Do you use the head bolts for alignment or what?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
Do you use the head bolts for alignment or what?
Yep, 2 bolts to hold the head on the block while cutting. The 1/4 head was very easy to move around.

Quick Reply: block in car - fly cutting