Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New flywheel grinding on starter... help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New flywheel grinding on starter... help

So, i just bolted everything together and started to turn the motor over with the coil packs unconnected. Afer a few seconds i hear a terrible clunk clunk clunk. After going down there I see my new TCI Flywheel has some pretty serious wear marks. The new starter was using actually cracked around the mounts because of how violent it must have been shaking. Has anyone had this problem, is it an alighnment issue or could I have a flywheel with the wrong amount of teeth? Im using my old starter again and the same problem happened again but I didnt leave it on long enough to cause damage. Any help at all in this matter would be gggggreatly appreciated.

Oh, and i dont have that black plastic plate thing on either but im like 99% sure that doesnt bolt between the starter bracket and the block anyway.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

also, how many teeth does a stock flywheel have?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

the stock ls1 flywheel is 168 tooth.

if everything is bolted up properly and you have the correct flywheel, I'd suspect the flywheel is bent, or the teeth on your starter is jacked.

hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:20 PM
9 Second Club

damn that ***** all brand new, maybe it bent in shipping... ahh that pisses me off. Ill have to go under the car when someones turning it over to see if it wobbels, thats the next step when i get back home from school I guess.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dragkid1917
damn that ***** all brand new, maybe it bent in shipping... ahh that pisses me off. Ill have to go under the car when someones turning it over to see if it wobbels, thats the next step when i get back home from school I guess.
check its bolted down properly, too....