LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Did my clutch die?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did my clutch die?

Hi guys, I recently picked up a 97 Z28 M6, 102K miles, bone stock except for a Flowmaster catback.

Recently I believed my clutch died. I was in third going about 40-50, ready to hit fourth, but when I put my foot on the clutch it would grind and shake violently not allowing me to go into gear or slow down. I put the car into neutral and coasted into a parking lot and then the car died with the clutch in. Now it won't crank at all.

Before this happened I had some issues with the shifter staying in 3rd gear, if I firmly place it there then it will stick but if I just gently put it there it will pop back out into neutral. Also, 5th gear is hard to find under load or parked, I would have to go into the previous gear and try several times.

Is it the clutch? What can I do to start trouble-shooting this? Is there a cheap replacement? I just want the car running smoothly again, not really looking for any performance right now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by truekoa
Hi guys, I recently picked up a 97 Z28 M6, 102K miles, bone stock except for a Flowmaster catback.

Recently I believed my clutch died. I was in third going about 40-50, ready to hit fourth, but when I put my foot on the clutch it would grind and shake violently not allowing me to go into gear or slow down. I put the car into neutral and coasted into a parking lot and then the car died with the clutch in. Now it won't crank at all.

Before this happened I had some issues with the shifter staying in 3rd gear, if I firmly place it there then it will stick but if I just gently put it there it will pop back out into neutral. Also, 5th gear is hard to find under load or parked, I would have to go into the previous gear and try several times.

Is it the clutch? What can I do to start trouble-shooting this? Is there a cheap replacement? I just want the car running smoothly again, not really looking for any performance right now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Hmm sounds like it could be your clutch.. the only real way to find out is to take the tranny down and see what you find GL
Old 07-26-2010, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Hmm sounds like it could be your clutch.. the only real way to find out is to take the tranny down and see what you find GL
Any recommendations on a replacement clutch? Also is my 3rd gear issue fixable?

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe just a throwout bearing... drop the tranny before you buy parts.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Spiers
Maybe just a throwout bearing... drop the tranny before you buy parts.
agreed. pull everything apart first. if you need a clutch tho. i really like my spec stage 2. but it chatters alot. Monster clutches ive heard nothing but great things about. the next time i need a new clutch ill be purchasing a monster
Old 07-26-2010, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

doesn't monster only make clutches for LS engines?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is the clutch then he said he just wants a cheap replacement... not looking for any performance. In that case he could just get an OEM replacement from Oreillys etc.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could be the clutch fork bolt. The fork could be making the noise your describing on the pressure plate. Take off slave with metal portion and peek in access hole. If fork is completely loose, it is bolt or throwout bearing.

You can see more with a flashlight and mirror, and go from there.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Well I dropped the car off at a shop to drop the transmission and take a look.

They said the clutch is indeed gone so a new replacement is needed. They also mentioned my third gear is damaged and needs to be replaced, however, I have no idea what kind of part is needed for this. Whats needed to replace a gear? I checked at Autozone and it was about 300 ish for a stock replacement.

Is it normally this much to replace a gear? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I just want the car running correctly, not looking for any performance parts.

What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Did my clutch die?