Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp trunion upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Comp trunion upgrade

So I was going to do this tonight, but can't find my snap ring pliers...
anyway, I bought an Arbor press at Harbor freight for $44.00.
This first pic shows a Harland rebuilt rocker on the left, stock on the right and the new comp trunions below.
The Harlands got oil starved in my last motor and the bearings are wasted.
Anyone have any tips or tricks to share?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Launching!

I just got done installing them in my motor, have had a chance to start it yet still waiting on a couple small parts... What kind of advice are you looking for??? install advice???
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

Yes. Does it take a lot of force to press the bearings? Should I soak them in oil before I put them in the car? I'm a newb to this... What should I NOT do?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Teching In

I just put a set together, but haven't installed them in the car. With a press they go together fairly easy. The only thing I was concerned with was there is enough space between the snap rings, bearings, and trunion that if you don't press them on far enough, the rocker can slide side to side, if you press them on too far, it will drag when it pivots. Or it's possible to press it all the way against one snap ring and the rocker will be off center. I assume Harland puts the small washers under the snap rings to take up the slack, the comp kit doesn't come with them. I called Comp's tech line and they said they had never heard of a problem of the rockers moving around on the trunion, and I searched on here and didn't find anyone having problems. So, I just centered the rocker and pushed each bearing in far enough so it didn't move side to side and didn't bind. You'll get a feel for them after you put a few together. Oh, and I think they tell you to put the lettering on the bearings to the outside.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks, Man. I assume that I could use the Harland washers.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Teching In

I checked out Fastenal, McMaster-Carr and a few others to see about getting washers, but decided maybe I was being a little too picky if no one was having trouble with out them. But, I don't think there would be a problem using the Harland washers if you have them, as long as they don't restrict oil getting to the bearings.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did find that some WD40 helped when pressing out the old bearings/trunion. The bearing case split on the couple that I did not do this on and took a bit more time to press out.

Anybody find that the replacement bolts are a good bit shorter than the stock?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Launching!

What i did was press the bearings in so that they were flush with the outside of the rocker that way the turnion will be centered and not alot of play in them, if you go too far you can always back the off a little with a tap of a hammer... Make sure the lettering on the bearings is facing out but i am sure you read that in the instructions, I put mine together with a couple of sockets and a hammer lol not the right way but it worked.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

sbsrkh hit the nail on the head with the only concern that I had while assembling mine. You can wing it just by looking at how far you push the bearing into the rocker. I did mine with my humongous vice and didn't have any problems. I used a bunch of sockets to do the pushing out of the old trunions and the installation of the new ones. Here's a couple pics:

Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

NICE responses, Guys! Exactly what I was looking for... Thanks!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

In MY mind, the only way to settle the issue if washers are needed and if there is indeed too much play would be to look at the wipe pattern on the tip. Irregular or any contact on or over the edges might be the smoking gun if it IS a problem?

Here's the contact area of a Harlan... anyone care to post up a pic of their Comps WITHOUT the washers?

Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

seems like there was a thread a while back about a problem with using the stock bolts with this kit. anyone else remember this?

found it
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-question.html
Old 07-28-2010, 03:38 AM
Banned

Don't forget that the stamping on the new bearings have to face out. There is a wrong way to put them in.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
seems like there was a thread a while back about a problem with using the stock bolts with this kit. anyone else remember this?

found it
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-question.html
From top to bottom, Harland, Comp and stock. The Harland and Comp bolts are identical. Both stamped YFS 12.9. I had the Harlands done a few years ago. I assume they are still using the same bolts.

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 07-28-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

The thread listed above seems to be mostly concerned about the non-threaded portion of the bolt being too long and that extending the threads on stock bolts is a solution. The non-threaded portion of the stock bolts does extend past the bottom of the pedestal, but not much. Of bigger concern is the extra .300 length of the stock bolt causes it to stick out a lot further into the intake port and seems that it could be an even bigger problem on the exhaust side.

Stock on intake

Comp bolt

Stock bolt and pedestal
Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

That's some badass portwork.

I don't think with or without the washers would matter now that I have them out and see how thin they are. But I'll install them anyway.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Gunn
something I just noticed, looking at this picture at the two Comp shafts, one is hollow in the end and the other is not. are they all like this?

look at these, non have a hollow end

Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I soaked mine on a quart of oil with 3 oz of ZDDP concentrate (zink) for added protection to te bearings.
The ZDDP I got from Mandello motorsports (not a sponsor) and is recomended for this parts to prevent premature wear.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

should you put the rocker in the oven and heat it up a little?maybe put the comp trunion bearings in the freezer .would this make the pressing process easier?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Teching In

The harland shafts are hollow, the comp's are solid. The picture is showing his old harland rocker with the new comp shaft.

Quick Reply: Comp trunion upgrade