Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are rod and rocker arm bolts re-usable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are rod and rocker arm bolts re-usable?

Just as the title states... re-useable... or... torque to yield and one time use?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:21 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can re-use those rocker bolts. You may be thinking of the stock head bolts. Those are tty. Which rods are you refering to though? Bottom end?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Launching!

what other rods could I have... lol... yea I mean the conn. rod bolts. I pulled one cap to check the bearing and I am just going to re-install if it is kosher. I want to see what a 130k completly stock bottom 5.3 will take from my abusive driving style. So just wondering if I need to get two new ones or if the ones I pulled will be ok to re-use
Old 07-27-2010, 12:13 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

You would be surprised how many people think that there are push rod bolts. LOL.
Good rule of thumb is to replace the stock ones with some better holding ones if you plan on cranking out the RPMs. Plus, you already have the pan off and are staring them in the face. I would do it now before it lets go later. Katech or ARP is generally the way that most people go for replacement. I am not sure if the stockers are TTY, but most people pull and replace them first chance they get, so there isn't a lot of discussion on re-using them.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

If the rods are out of the engine and you're going to replace your rod bolts(you should replace them) do it properly and have the rods resized.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Launching!

I am trying to see the limits of the stock bottom. The rods havent been out I pulled one cap to see what the bearing looked like to make sure I would have a shot at it having a chance at living. I dont care if this motor blows up it was $200 I am trying to stay on a budget. If I do go with aftermarket pieces it will be the Katech units as they dont require rod re-sizing. So the question still stands... are they safe to re-torque?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
If the rods are out of the engine and you're going to replace your rod bolts(you should replace them) do it properly and have the rods resized.
If they are out and able, have them CHECKED. The cracked cap rods aren't the easiest to resize. The pm rods we have also seem to hold the bore shape very well, and usually don't need resizing.

As for ARP/Katech, neither should need resizing. Both might distort the bore, but either one would do it. They are both aftermarket bolts that provide a higher clamping load than factory stuff.

How much is your time worth? Things like this usually find the most inopportune time to break...is changing one engine for another [$200] 5.3 because a rod bolt let go technically cheaper? The ARP's aren't very expensive, don't need checking, and will outlast the factory rods by a good margin. Peace of mind is a very nice thing when you're trying to enjoy driving.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ninety4three4
I am trying to see the limits of the stock bottom. The rods havent been out I pulled one cap to see what the bearing looked like to make sure I would have a shot at it having a chance at living. I dont care if this motor blows up it was $200 I am trying to stay on a budget. If I do go with aftermarket pieces it will be the Katech units as they dont require rod re-sizing. So the question still stands... are they safe to re-torque?

Higher clamping force equals distortion. Is it enough to require resizing? Maybe.Personally I'd check everytime unless I didn't give a damn what happens to it. Since that is where you are give it hell and see what happens.

The Katech screws aren't magic They function the exact same way a fastener from ARP,SPS,etc. does. They are just a fastener.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Ok so basically the original question still hasnt been answered, weve gone through everything else except if the factory gm fasteners are re-useable or not...?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
Higher clamping force equals distortion. Is it enough to require resizing? Maybe.Personally I'd check everytime unless I didn't give a damn what happens to it. Since that is where you are give it hell and see what happens.

The Katech screws aren't magic They function the exact same way a fastener from ARP,SPS,etc. does. They are just a fastener.
Agree with what you said, but I remember a thread a while ago where Katech went into discussion about how their bolts were designed to be a direct replacement, taking any distortion into account.

BS? Who knows, that's what I remember hearing.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Launching!

I dont want this to turn into a "which rod bolts are best" thread guys... that is a pretty beat topic at this point... lets just figure out my original question and kill this thread and leave it for others to search down the road
Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Ok so basically the original question still hasnt been answered, weve gone through everything else except if the factory gm fasteners are re-useable or not...?
Well, thats because none of us think its a good idea when you already have the pan off.

As for the arp/katech bore distortion - the powdered metal material/process/forging used to make these rods is REALLY stiff, just like a casting, except WAY better. Because of this, either rod bolt, even though its got a higher clamping force, really doesn't do much to affect the bore, although in theory, it should. Forged, especially gm sbc rods, have a certain amount of give, like any forging, and get distorted easier than the PM rods.

I did an essay on the PM process 2 years ago, and found some interest articles on blocks being made of PM. Lighter than a cast iron block, and far stronger.

Anyways, as for if the factory rods bolt torque spec, a first try seach not only found me the torque specs, but also if they are re-usable.

I think ARPs are a good idea since its all ready and easy at this point. What if you like what the 5.3 puts out, but can't enjoy it b/c you're concerned about the rod bolts letting go???
Old 10-15-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Soooo.... curious... ninety4three4, did you ever get an answer to the question?

Are rod and rocker arm bolts re-usable? And what were the torque specs you used?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Launching!

I am trying to see the limits of the stock bottom.
In my experience it doesnt have very high limits but i hear opposite stories all the time. Also depends on what year 5.3l you got. Its funny to see how much thinner the 5.3l rods are next to ls2 rods.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not the expert here, but from my experience, the rod bolts are to be replaced.
I differ from the ARP/Katech recommendation, and since you're on a budget, recommend the LS6 rod bolts. They're good enough for 400+rwhp, and 6500.
You can buy them for $2.63ea + ship.

Quick Reply: Are rod and rocker arm bolts re-usable?