General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaks HEADACHE! OUT OF CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaks HEADACHE! OUT OF CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wass techs.

i own a 97 Camaro z28 115,000 miles, im having a leak coming from the timming cover.
since i own my Camaro i have always had a leak coming down from the timming cover, at first it wasn't that bad.
i paid $350 to have the seals and gaskets changed, well the mechanic didn't do a good job, so i took the car right back to him he redid the job and again didn't fix my leak. I waited a little to see if it was maybe some oil stuck somewhere around, but after a while i notice it was still coming down from the timming cover so took him the car back to him.
this time i got it back and its worser than ever............................

it the timming cover thats weared out or this mechanic?

i know this is a common problem with Camaro's, is there really a way to avoiding leaks coming from that area, i want to fix this problem my drive way looking uglier and landlord complaing badly.

i will appreciate all help and advice.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best thing to do is do it yourself so you know it was done right. You may need to just buy a new GM gasket, maybe this so called mechanic is using a fel-pro or something a lot cheaper. This is something that you can do yourself pretty easily with just a couple hours invested.

Best thing to do right now is get some brake cleaner and clean everywhere around the cover and try and check it religiously so you can see the exact spot where the oil is coming out. I'm sure the mechanic didn't lay a bead of silicone along with the gasket like most everyone does to prevent this.