General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Pump Or Pressure Regulator?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Or Pressure Regulator?!

Okay, ive had this problem for awhile now..what happens is i can almost never start the car on the first "turn". i took it to my mechanic and he said my fuel pressure seems to be fine when its running..but it wont hold pressure for long when its off..he said it might be my regulator and pulled out this little thing from the engine bay lol..but he said he didnt have a way to test it..said he didnt think it was my pump since it holds pressure fine when its on..i dont have any funky idle or nothing..oh and when the car starts..i hear a little screech..kinda like if you slide your foot on a smooth tile floor...cars power is fine..no hesitations i think..so idk. opinions?

Thanks in advance

-Drew
Old 07-27-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My buddies car does the same thing and its the pressure regulator as I understand though the regulator is inside the pump so youd have to replace the whole pump in the tank which is very expensive
Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a new mechanic quickly........the thing he thinks is a regulator is actually an acumulator to smooth out the pressure pusles in the fuel rail as the injectors open and close. The regulator is in the fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah it the pressure regulator in the gas tank. Same problem here, mine won't start till the third
Old 07-27-2010, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

It's probably the check valve in the fuel pump, mine did the exact same thing and that was the issue. btw the regulator isn't actually in the pump, it's on the bucket assembly.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Banned

The regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
The regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly.
Yes it's on the bucket, but it's not on the pump itself. I'm just saying that replacing the pump will not replace the regulator, though I doubt that's the issue.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Banned

If you replace the pump you would replace the entire assembly unless you were install some kind of after market pump kit alone. The fuel pressure regulator is also available alone.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Yup, that'd be the best thing to do anyway. A racetronix kit is quite a bit less than a new stock assembly, and it flows a lot more than the stock pump.

btw OP I have a spare stock regulator, pm me if you need one.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FireBirdSoldier
Okay, ive had this problem for awhile now..what happens is i can almost never start the car on the first "turn". i took it to my mechanic and he said my fuel pressure seems to be fine when its running..but it wont hold pressure for long when its off..he said it might be my regulator and pulled out this little thing from the engine bay lol..but he said he didnt have a way to test it..said he didnt think it was my pump since it holds pressure fine when its on..i dont have any funky idle or nothing..oh and when the car starts..i hear a little screech..kinda like if you slide your foot on a smooth tile floor...cars power is fine..no hesitations i think..so idk. opinions?

Thanks in advance

-Drew
Your 02 does not have the FPR in the engine bay. Its on the FPM in your tank.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Teching In

"My 96 Camaro does the same exact thing as you describe. I just had this EXACT conversation with the guy next door to me who owns his own mechanic business. This is how I know haha.

He told me not to worry about it and that it won't affect the fuel pump at all.

My guess is that you would have to drop the tank to access the fuel pump.

The advice I gave you of what to do to start it on the first turn is what he told me to do it it bothered me. "

is what someone told me on ls1.com, i havent found any hesitation..funny sounds..idles fine..mileage is fine..ride is fine..im real paranoid bout my cars so i keep a close eye on that kinda stuff all the time..but yea..opinions?
Old 08-03-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Your pump is dead. My old TA did the exact same thing. I could never start it on the first try after it set. I would have to "prime" it several times and then it would start smoothly. I installed a Racetronix on it and it worked like a charm after it.

My car would drive and idle fine once it started. It was the check valve.. It was on a 97.