What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1968 GTO- Price Guess

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 GTO- Price Guess

1968 Pontiac GTO

6.5L V8
Automatic with His n hers shifter

62xxx Miles

Only rust is on tail pipes

Hood tach
Hideaway headlights
Ram air hood
Interior is MINT

Whats a rough estimate on what its worth?

Needs a total repaint although you cant tell from pics (Cracking)

Not original engine, but correct code for year and trans.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tough to say not knowing on paint. We paid 15K for a 71 GTO that was entirely rebuilt, paint, suspension, motor (stout) and interior- aliong with about 3K in parts.

I would think 12K- 15K? 68 and 69 are pretty attractive cars and more desireable than m 71. Not as valuable as the 65-67 but very good looking cars.

How does it look under the vinyl top?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1965GP
tough to say not knowing on paint. We paid 15K for a 71 GTO that was entirely rebuilt, paint, suspension, motor (stout) and interior- aliong with about 3K in parts.

I would think 12K- 15K? 68 and 69 are pretty attractive cars and more desireable than m 71. Not as valuable as the 65-67 but very good looking cars.

How does it look under the vinyl top?
The paint is flaking off in two places and visibly cracking in a few others. Its an older restoration, it needs a repaint.

I have never had the vinyl top off but it is smooth all the way around, no signs or rust anywhere.

If i got 15 for it i'd be happy
Old 07-29-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Sure looks decent (the classic 20 footer) but the rust issue is much more than the tail pipes. I can almost assure you of that if the car has been driven even a little bit since the last restoration, plus the paint shouldn't be cracking or flaking off if it was done right or maintained properly. What was the quality of the last restoration? Are the 62k miles documented in any way? Since the restoration or what?? I think $15,000 may really be pushing it, especially without the original engine. I would not pay more than $10,000 for it unless I was really comfortable after a thorough inspection of the floor pans, trunk, etc...all the typical 'cancer' spots. Does the current engine run strong? The tranny?? So many ???? to answer accurately before a price can be properly offered. If you just want 'ballpark' then that is fine.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Sure looks decent (the classic 20 footer) but the rust issue is much more than the tail pipes. I can almost assure you of that if the car has been driven even a little bit since the last restoration, plus the paint shouldn't be cracking or flaking off if it was done right or maintained properly. What was the quality of the last restoration? Are the 62k miles documented in any way? Since the restoration or what?? I think $15,000 may really be pushing it, especially without the original engine. I would not pay more than $10,000 for it unless I was really comfortable after a thorough inspection of the floor pans, trunk, etc...all the typical 'cancer' spots. Does the current engine run strong? The tranny?? So many ???? to answer accurately before a price can be properly offered. If you just want 'ballpark' then that is fine.

Actually its not, the car was restored and undercoated, i havent gotten pics yet, but i have had it on a lift.

The restoration was done in the 80's and didnt do much since. I have even talked to the man who restored it, he used a laquer paint with no clear coat, and the person i bought it from stored it in an unheated garage in chicago for 15 years.

The engine pulls very strong, i had it retimed and the carb tuned by a professional. It has a small cam and a 450 edelbrock carb.

The transmission shifts smoothly and when moved over in the "his" gate, holds gears till redline and shifts properly.

The 62,000 is what is on it now, was never swapped for another cluster and is supposedly origional. I have yet to look further into it seeing as i just got it.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Good to hear that the engine and tranny are top notch. If there are 62,000 original miles though the original engine should be in the car even if it needed rebuilding. Why not? Also why would a car be properly restored to just end up in an unheated COLD garage for 15 years? Still so many questions. Some red flags are flying right now especially with no documentation. My opinion hasn't changed on price even though I'm leaning closer to the above $10,000 mark if there is truly NO rust. I hope you didn't pay too much, and why are you selling so fast if you just got it? Curious. Best of luck!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Good to hear that the engine and tranny are top notch. If there are 62,000 original miles though the original engine should be in the car even if it needed rebuilding. Why not? Also why would a car be properly restored to just end up in an unheated COLD garage for 15 years? Still so many questions. Some red flags are flying right now especially with no documentation. My opinion hasn't changed on price even though I'm leaning closer to the above $10,000 mark if there is truly NO rust. I hope you didn't pay too much, and why are you selling so fast if you just got it? Curious. Best of luck!
the person who bought it from the restorer has an unheated garage, just wanted a nice muscle car.

i didnt pay too much, thats why im selling it so soon, to turn a profit
Old 08-07-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

OK, good luck. Never hurts to try. Have as much info as possible 'at hand' for any potential buyer. If you run into serious car people they will ask you a lot more than I have.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That laquer paint is a pain- our 67 RS vert has the same thing going on.

I was at the tri-power nats this weekend and the cars wee priced high-

parts were cheap. You couldn't get into a 68-72 A body that wasn't 70's out for less than 10K no matter condition. Most were 20K plus.

Quick Reply: 1968 GTO- Price Guess