PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7 swap... what needs to happen to make it run...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LM7 swap... what needs to happen to make it run...

Ok im going to try not to ask stupid questions here. Read the sig for build info... I have a factory harness and ECU from a 99 truck. I can get the number off the ECU if it is needed. Basically assuming all of the wiring is done correctly and everything is there fuel wise... what needs to be done to the ECU to start this thing? I havent started any wiring the engine isnt even in the car but once it is I am going to start it NA to make sure it is ok and then build the turbo set-up. I dont have any tuning capabilty right now so what do I do to get around the VATS? I heard it cant be fooled on the truck ECU's? should I get a F-body ECU (which I heard can be fooled?) will the truck ecu connectors plug into an F-body ECU? Can I make the truck ECU work. Once everything is built and done it will be tuned by a tuner with HP tuners or EFI live but I just want to be able to make it run in the garage in stock form first to make sure everything is working properly
Old 07-28-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The only way is either have someone with tuning software kill VATS, borrow a VCM with VATS removed just for your test or buy one of the VATS bypass boxes.

You will still need a continuous source of fuel with 58 PSI to the rail and something stout enough to hold the engine while it runs but I'm sure you already knew that...
Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Well It is going to be in the car and mounted and the fuel system is going to be complete I will just start it on the stock injectors and swap in the aftermarkets when I am satisfied with how it runs NA. Im the only one running GEN III in my crew so swapping an ECU is out of the question... So basically here are the standing questions..

1) Can the truck ECU be fooled with a VATS fooler?
2)If so who sells them?
3) I think the truck VATS are serialized so I cant make one?
4) Can a F-body ECU be fooled?
5) Will a truck harness connector plug into and F-body ECU as long as it is pinned correctly?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Anyone?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninety4three4
Well It is going to be in the car and mounted and the fuel system is going to be complete I will just start it on the stock injectors and swap in the aftermarkets when I am satisfied with how it runs NA. Im the only one running GEN III in my crew so swapping an ECU is out of the question... So basically here are the standing questions..

1) Can the truck ECU be fooled with a VATS fooler?
2)If so who sells them?
3) I think the truck VATS are serialized so I cant make one?
4) Can a F-body ECU be fooled?
5) Will a truck harness connector plug into and F-body ECU as long as it is pinned correctly?
hOPE THIS HELPS1)I swapped a 2002LQ4 into 81 T/A, and did the factory harness myself, but sent PCM to LT1swap.com to be set to run(It do!) I am told that 1999-2002PCM are the easy ones to fool. 2) LT1swap.com has a ton of info, on who sell them.3) Not sure. 4) If it a 1999-2002 they are the same, i think.5) Yes.

Quick Reply: LM7 swap... what needs to happen to make it run...