LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What a crappy night :( with the wifes camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a crappy night :( with the wifes camaro

Either way it broke down by her work which is 45 min drive from where im located and it overheated. IM scared to see what it was. I drove all the way there by her to work to find out that was no water in the engine at all. I fill it up and find out that its the water pump leaking from the weap hole. Well its 9pm at night and everything is closed out here. Luckily I have a spare water pump laying around and all the tools. But they are 45 mins back the other way. I drive there and back to fix the car and got it back on the road again. About 1am where driving back home with no more leaking and overheating. THe bad thing is this is a brand new water pump from adv. auto with less than 1k miles on it and it already went bad O well

Also while down there I hit a plug wire and noticed that the plug was loose. Then I checked the other one cyl. 3 and it was loose. So I tightened them up and I will check the other ones too. IM sure they are all loose and will need to be tightened. THErefore the car will have more power for sure and ride smoother.

I will fix that tomorrow and swap some things out too.

END RANT....
Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEED#1
Either way it broke down by her work which is 45 min drive from where im located and it overheated. IM scared to see what it was. I drove all the way there by her to work to find out that was no water in the engine at all. I fill it up and find out that its the water pump leaking from the weap hole. Well its 9pm at night and everything is closed out here. Luckily I have a spare water pump laying around and all the tools. But they are 45 mins back the other way. I drive there and back to fix the car and got it back on the road again. About 1am where driving back home with no more leaking and overheating. THe bad thing is this is a brand new water pump from adv. auto with less than 1k miles on it and it already went bad O well

Also while down there I hit a plug wire and noticed that the plug was loose. Then I checked the other one cyl. 3 and it was loose. So I tightened them up and I will check the other ones too. IM sure they are all loose and will need to be tightened. THErefore the car will have more power for sure and ride smoother.

I will fix that tomorrow and swap some things out too.

END RANT....
Wow - I'm just impressed you changed the WP in the middle of the night on the side of the road or parking lot. Great work, I could do it but deffinately would not want to.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah once you have done it 5-10times it becomes much easier. LOL
Old 07-28-2010, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that sux!! Gut the pump and slap on a EWP!!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you put new gasket ? it take us almost 2 hours to put the new lt1 pump on lt4 hehe.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I used to carry an extra electric waterpump with me on road trips after a CSI (now CSR) blew a seal. Takes longer to scrape the gasket sealer than it does to intall the dang thing lol.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same **** one weekend. One of the pipes on a brand new water pump came out of the hole after a race. I guess they are glued in there somehow, this one had green goop coming out when I bought it.

Had to drive about 45 minutes like you to my house, get my tools, drive back, patch water pump hose, then drive the **** home. Pain in the ***, but F leaving a car overnight in a random location lol.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I had extra gaskets for the pump at home. I installed that and reused everything else, clamps, hoses etc. IT only has 8xx miles on it. Either way, its all good now and the best part is there is NO misfire and the opti is safe!!! Im very glad to have my wife monitor those gauges all the time.

Nah the electric water pump is for my car and the other that is bad, hopefully they will give me a new one
Old 07-28-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Had to drive about 45 minutes like you to my house, get my tools, drive back, patch water pump hose, then drive the **** home. Pain in the ***, but F leaving a car overnight in a random location lol.[/QUOTE]

Hell ya, im not doing that at all! The tow would have been close to 100 bux and I would get that back once I send it in to the insurance company because its covered under our policy. But, Im a 100 bux richer and only 25 bux out in gas
Old 07-28-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would never leave my car any where over night, Im sleep in it hehe.

Quick Reply: What a crappy night :( with the wifes camaro