Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant passage bolt on side of block?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant passage bolt on side of block?

I noticed a small coolant leak coming from my engine, so got underneath and it seems like its coming from a star-head screw or bolt on the drivers side of the engine behind the alternator. I guess it leaks from the engine expansion as it heats and cools over time as the special sealant wears out. Anyways, my question is does anyone know what size that bolt is so I can go buy the right tool for it. Thanks

KC
Old 07-28-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it a plug? On my Vette, it is on the passenger side and the coolant sensor is in the location you describe. If so, the plug number I used from GM was 12553191. You could also drain the coolant, remove and use some thread sealer then re-install.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

No mine is on the driver side of the block. And I don't need the plug, it's there and fine. The sealant around it has worn out. I have a tube of sealant for it, I just don't know what size the plug is so I can go buy the right tool to get it out.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Teching In

dude what the **** are you talking about?

If it is the ALLEN HEAD PLUG, which for some reason is on the drivers side head as opposed to the correct place on the passenger head, then you will use a 17mm ALLEN WRENCH to remove the ALLEN plug. It's not called "star shaped plug" for a reason.

Also any sealant will work. Some would say loctite, some would say teflon tape, but i highly suggest ThreeBond 1194. Best investment you'll ever make, besides a "car work for dummies" book.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marshessn
dude what the **** are you talking about?

If it is the ALLEN HEAD PLUG, which for some reason is on the drivers side head as opposed to the correct place on the passenger head, then you will use a 17mm ALLEN WRENCH to remove the ALLEN plug. It's not called "star shaped plug" for a reason.

Also any sealant will work. Some would say loctite, some would say teflon tape, but i highly suggest ThreeBond 1194. Best investment you'll ever make, besides a "car work for dummies" book.
This is the plug Im talking about. MY F'ING BAD! I only got to look at it for 2 sec probally 6 months ago and I forgot exactly what it looks like. Im assuming that it will be a really large allen key to get that off.

You can see the driver side engine mount there on the right before the plug. But as your dumbass can even see, its NOT on the head, its on the block, like I said! And no **** its not called a "star shaped plug" for a reason. But you know, your right theres no such thing as one of those. OH WAIT!

Damn, I may not know the exact name of it, but i described it best I could.

Ive done all the work on my car for over 5 years, but I dont know everything, thats why I ask these questions here. So if you have nothing better to do than try to talk some lame ****, instead of posting in my thread, go **** yourself while reading your "car work for dummies" book you tool.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will require a torx bit. I got a kit from NAPA pretty cheap that has all different sizes. I am sure there is one in there that would fit......
Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, since you seem to be getting some smart *** remarks....

you would need a ridiculously large and expensive allen/hex head for the plug.

The easiest and cheapest thing to do is go to the hardware store, metric section, and buy a few different sized large hex bolts/nuts whose heads look like they would fit into the plug.

Go home, and test them out. Double nut the bolt whose head fits into the plug. Then you can then use a regular crescent wrench on 1 of the 2 nuts to turn the assembly.

PS. "double nut" or "jam nut" means to put two nuts on the bolt, then taking two wrenches, and turning them against each other, so they jam up. This way, you make an assembly that is one solid piece.

Last edited by Grimes; 07-30-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys the thread is to help each other base on your experience, knowledge or hypothesis (when you don't know) there is no reason to be a smart ***. FBodyPerformer take it out install teflon tape or ThreeBond 1194 reinstall it back and problem solve. Here's a pic of a really smart *** Dunky
Attached Thumbnails Coolant passage bolt on side of block?-lucky-dunky.jpg  
Old 07-31-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its a 17mm

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=G3

Last edited by 89 formula350; 07-31-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Go to the link posted above.

You can buy a 17mm HEX wrench for under $20 and remove it properly...
Old 08-01-2010, 02:23 AM
12 Second Club

THANK YOU! to the last couple people that came in with the knowledge (and maturity) I needed and all I was looking for, a simple size of plug. I'll go up to sears and pick that up tom.

Now I have another question. My friend that works at a carl black dealer as a tech down here, gave me an aluminum RTV to use, said that would work on it. Can I stick with that or do the Teflon tape or that threebond 1194? I was told GM used a special sealant on those plugs b/c like I said, it has to be flexible enough to hold under pressure as the engine expands and contracts from it heating and cooling.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would just use liquid teflon sealer and never give it a second thought. (i use it all the time) but that's just me and I haven't used the threebond or the other stuff you mentioned much less even know what they are so IDK what to tell you there.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad I ran across this. I hope that's all that's wrong with mine. Btw, I ran across another post a bit ago talking about a similar issue and it gave info on the bolt as well.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...plug-help.html

Guess all thats left to do is check where its leaking now. Too bad I already bought and installed a new water pump.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

I use permatex thread sealer for this plug. I think autozone sells it off the shelf now.

Quick Reply: Coolant passage bolt on side of block?