Considering moving to TX

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering moving to TX

Hey guys, I would like to here your opinions on why/why not to move to TX. Also, what are the best cities as far as safety, job market, and cost of living are concerned? I would prefer to live somewhere that has a good mix of people/cultures so that my girlfriend and I will both be comfortable.(I'm white, she's mexican) Another state we are considering is AZ so present you case or info for/against AZ also.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Dallas has a nice mix of everything.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scss02
Dallas has a nice mix of everything.
x2

Only thing I would miss is the ocean.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pearland is nice, a good mix plus not too far from the coast.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, it would be nice to find somewhere that's with-in an hr or two of the ocean. That's one of the few things I love about living here in the Bay Area.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Hey if you are thinking of moving to Texas then you have to take a look at Houston. Here we have a great mix of people. The food is awesome and you are pretty close to everything including the beach. Ohh and we have some FAST cars.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What ocean? Its the Gulf.... I grew up in the Houston area and don't miss the brown water too much and I sure don't miss the humidity it creates down there either. The fishing was nice though.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't mind why are you moving. CA seems like it would be sweet to live in. New Braunfels is awesome also. Less humidity, bad *** water park and a cool river. Beautiful town too and the women look a ton better than in Houston. The Woodlands is pretty also.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the houston car scene is huge. a long with a lot of other things. mainly boating/fishing. also there are a LOT of places to hunt out here which i love. as far as jobs go houston is a decent place for work, but i don't think anywhere has a great job market right now.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
What ocean? Its the Gulf....
Haha, you know what I meant.

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
If you don't mind why are you moving. CA seems like it would be sweet to live in. New Braunfels is awesome also. Less humidity, bad *** water park and a cool river. Beautiful town too and the women look a ton better than in Houston. The Woodlands is pretty also.
Well, I want to move because of the stupid laws, and cost of living...can't seem to convince myself that $600K+ for a 3-4 bedroom house is cheap....I moved here from WV(where a new 4-5 bedroom house costs $150-$200k), after college, to live with my family. I am currently renting a 1 bedroom apt for over $1200/month.

Another thing is the weather...hot days, chilly nights and mostly dry. I miss the thunderstorms and warm nights that WV has.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 PM
9 Second Club

Well, the cost of living is right where you want it, but we don't have warm nights... We have hot and muggy nights.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

Cost of living here in Austin is relatively cheap IMO. I rent a 1 bedroom 800 sq ft apartment for $700 with covered parking, washer/dryer and all bills (gas, water, electricity), and they are fairly nice apartments, very chill.

I wanted to rent a house, but they were more than what I wanted to pay for. A 3 bedroom home started off at like $1200 all the way up to about $3000 with huge garages. I'll eventually get a home, cause I want a garage to store my car... Next year with another raise, I should be able to comfortably afford one.

Austin is a awesome city for work. I found a great job within a week of moving here. Lots of IT jobs available if that's something you majored in.

Weather is nice in south Texas. Do not go north to like Amarillo, there is only about 5 good months of weather, it's always windy, it snows forever during winter season, there is nothing to do, and job opportunities are rare.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with with living in Austin, Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Well, the cost of living is right where you want it, but we don't have warm nights... We have hot and muggy nights.
Even better! I'm used to high humidity from WV. In the summer WV would usually have night temps ranging from 65-80 and I loved it.

Thanks for all of the replies so far guys. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff

I wanted to rent a house, but they were more than what I wanted to pay for. A 3 bedroom home started off at like $1200 all the way up to about $3000 with huge garages. I'll eventually get a home, cause I want a garage to store my car... Next year with another raise, I should be able to comfortably afford one.

Austin is a awesome city for work. I found a great job within a week of moving here. Lots of IT jobs available if that's something you majored in.
I actually did! I know the car scene is huge there so, how are the cops? Do they pull you over for little **** all the time or leave you alone unless you're doing something stupid?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irisheer
I actually did! I know the car scene is huge there so, how are the cops? Do they pull you over for little **** all the time or leave you alone unless you're doing something stupid?
Depends where you live. Pflugerville (North Austin) cops are really chill at our meets, they come talk to us, and they let us do our own thing. I've been living here for almost 6 months now, with a heads/cam car with loud *** exhaust and haven't had any problems or encounters with the Austin cops.

Now... Williamson county cops (Round Rock, which is just north of Austin) are another story. They are ****, and will pull you over for just about anything.

I got pulled over for no front license plate, and he then went on to ask about my exhaust and why "it was so loud". I told him it's how I bought the car, and it's legal (it's really not), and that he could look under to check. I smiled and said "good luck seeing anything since my car sits on the ground though". He gave me a warning, and said to mount a license plate on the front of my car, if not if he saw me again he'd write me a ticket. I then put my license plate on my dash, and have yet to be pulled over.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was pulled over once for no plate months ago but I never put it on and no one has said anything. Still rolling around no problems and it's not too big of a town. I think he was really just checking my car out.

From the stories I have heard I would have to say the DPS are the only "*******" cops we have. Just don't drive too stupid and you will be fine.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Cops here in my town pull you over for anything. I've been pulled over just to check to see if my doors are tinted like the back is...cop said he pulled me over because it's too cold to be driving around with the windows down

Got a ticket about a yr ago for tint, no front plate, and tinted side markers and the cop put on the ticket that the side markers are uncorrectable so my ticket came out to be $448. I went and had another cop sign off on everything being corrected and fought the ticket in court. They lowered it to $75.

I've been pulled over 6 times for **** like that, and only twice for speeding.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

the mid cities area between dallas and fort worth is just about perfect. tons of people, lots of opportunities for jobs, good mix of ethnicities, great school districts if you plan on having kids and some great neighborhoods in the suburbs. cities like keller, watauga, hurst, fort worth would be good choices.

apartments vary like any other place, but my buddies live in a real nice complex, 1300 sq ft 2 bedroom for a little over 800 over off western center here in ft worth. sure youre further from the beach, but believe me, you wont miss the humidity.

you'll be within a few minutes of dfw airport. theres also a train that goes to dallas , which furthers your range as far as jobs go. the car scene isnt great, but there are still a few meets here and there, but anybody that chooses their location over car scene is a fool haha

as far as arizona, you mentioned your girlfriend is mexican.....not a good choice lol
Old 07-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Irisheer
Even better! I'm used to high humidity from WV. In the summer WV would usually have night temps ranging from 65-80 and I loved it.

Thanks for all of the replies so far guys. Keep the suggestions coming.
Lol, my grandparents live in WV... I was just there a couple days ago, and man do I miss the dry air. I know it is a tad humid there, but it's paradise compared to Houston. If WV had a decent job market and you didnt have to drive 1+ hours everywhere, i'd live there.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blk90coupe
Lol, my grandparents live in WV... I was just there a couple days ago, and man do I miss the dry air. I know it is a tad humid there, but it's paradise compared to Houston. If WV had a decent job market and you didnt have to drive 1+ hours everywhere, i'd live there.
What part of WV are they in? I lived mid-way between Huntington and Charleston.